Business name

Doobop

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be careful about just taking someone else's business name, I would recommend avoiding it if you can.

The reason is that it may be a good, catchy name, and you could find they are a reasonably reputable firm, so in the first instance you could wind them up somewhat as if you are trying to trade off their reputation.

Conversely, anyone who has had a bad experience with them, may think you are the same company and you could lose business.

I had someone who came and worked for me for a short while, then they set out on their own. I even specifically remember a conversation where he asked about the trading name and where it came from. I was not too bothered about him leaving, but when he started trading just down the road with a very similar trading name - well, it caused a lot of friction! Over the next couple of years I had several occasions where a customer would ring for one of us, but actually called the other company. Fortunately though, it turned out he was completely useless at running his own show and eventually went out of business. I was at the point of considering changing the business name to be disassociated with his shoddy work.

If you really want to borrow someone elses business name, like the aspirational one above, why not use it as an inspiration for your name - but change it sufficiently enough to be different, for example "Ace Tree Care" becomes:

Acer Tree Care

Aces Tree Care

Aesculus Tree Care

or

... Tree Services

... Tree Management

... Tree Surgeons

... etc...

(Just to check Doobop - whereabouts are you? I hope you are not 2 hours from me...)

Edited by 10 Bears

Evening all, I'm currently trading as my name but want to come up with a proper business name. But can't think of a good one!!!!

Help. Please😁

I live in North Devon if this helps!

How about

"Timberdown Services"

Or one to make umm think.

"Tundoow Trees" …think backwards to get it

It's Sunday night, it's the end of the holiday season, I've got to do tax and paperwork tomorrow, I'm grumpy and drinking Dalwhinnie, so please don't take this the wrong way..... Although you probably will, and then they'll be a bandwagon of other outraged and offended individuals.... (but that's kind of fun if you like a wind up....)

So in response to your question..... Please! Can't you even start by suggesting some 'king business names that we can comment on rather than asking everyone to tell you what to call yourself?

I'm having the same problem :laugh1:

I was on the phone the other day enquiring about public liability insurance and the guy asked me my business name...... Not thought of one yet:confused1:

I'm only doing hedges grass and general tidy ups

I will be starting out on March so hopefully have a name by them