Dorset Treeman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can not be as bad as some Baltic pine we had into sawmill when I did my aprentaship for a special order that required very close growth rings, was full of 2nd world war shrapnel which was incredibly hard stuff and very good at stripping the teeth of the band saws, scary stuff when your operating it. Remember the boss saying he'd lost hundreds on that order because of it.

The local saw mills always scan the wood with a metal detector.

M.Launay has a drawer full of shrapnel which he delights in showing.

Sometimes from unlikely sources like a stray bomb in an area that saw little or no action.

Sometimes from a woodland that saw shelling but was forgotten.

Often, slugs from boar hunters.

Ty

This was nearly 20 years ago and the owner was unlikely ever to consent to such extravagant expenses before this happened, about a week later we got 1 but was crap and could hardly find the forklift never mind a bit of mettle 8" into a tree, I think ones you get now are significantly better.

If I suspect this kind of thing is going to crop up I explain to the customer and put a quote in with an "excess" for kit and time if foreign objects slow things down. If the job is not time sensitive and the customer is amenable I keep this excess low if they will give me a month to keep coming back when I have an hour or two at the end of the day if they are not amenable to that then the excess is a far higher. That said when it is unforeseen I absorb the cost and find the time to get it done putting it down to experience or a one off.

I now need to write a condition into my quoting to cover such events, as I can't keep taking such a financial hit, but I'm not really sure how to structure it.

Something along the lines of;

"This quote is based on our visual evaluation & does not include additional labour or materials which may be required should unforeseen problems arise after the work has started.

This may include but is not limited to embedded objects,such as metal or stone/concrete."

This was nearly 20 years ago and the owner was unlikely ever to consent to such extravagant expenses before this happened, about a week later we got 1 but was crap and could hardly find the forklift never mind a bit of mettle 8" into a tree, I think ones you get now are significantly better.

Hi all I had a stone in beach butt 20" in mad on 880 chain killed the chain thanks Jon

Give an estimate not a quote, or if you want to quote and have any suspicions with regard to the tree put extra on in the first place, that way if it's a pia your covered and if it's straight forward you have the option to knock some money off the bill.