Iroko worktop

Any sort of cooking oils won't last on a worktop...

I would use something like a polyurethene varnish (have used Rustins in the past) and it goes off very hard indeed. Also Le Tonkinois - used this on tables used in a restuarant and this is also very hard wearing.

Just wondering if all the cooking oil originally applied has been got off - as this would react with any future treatments and may still be causing problems.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Rob said I find most cooking oils go rank after a while, I would use polyurethane varnish. I find le tonkis very good but can be a bit bitty but a light wet sand and recoat solved that for me. Is your sink sealed to the worktop.

Yes it was mastic down. I will just sand it down gain completely poss use a white spirit to make sure no oil is left and yes a polyurethane seal seems to be the way forward.

Thanks all for the advise!! Social media working at it's best

Liberon finishing oil applied generously gives great protection but more gloss than some like. Did this on our walnut tops 5 years ago. The areas around the hob are still perfect but do now need to do some work on the main working area but 5 years with little care seems pretty good to me. Apparently the drying oils are not so very different from a poly oil just easier to apply but needs more coats to get the build.

I had the same issue on an oak worktop! I then found out from a pro shop-fitter about a product called 'Sadolin PV-67'. This is a 2pack synthetic varnish made for pub counter tops and wooden floors. I've now used it loads of times and it's fantastic. Leaves a near bulletproof finish and being a chemical hardener finish you can get 3 coats on in and afternoon.

You must sand of all the old finish first but once done you'll never need to do it again.

Sadolin PV-67 instructions must be followed closely and use in a ventilated area as the chemical hardner gives of some potent fumes until it sets / drys ( about 30 mins)

PM me if you want to chat or need more details.

I have had good results off my table with osmo but it just hasent worked on the worktop, trouble is it's a high traffic area as they say. I did pick up some pv67and I'll try it and I also have some solid elm flooring which I am going to try it on. Read some really good stuff on it earlier so watch this space

Treatex worktop oil with their hardener!! Used it on a yew bar top for a bar/restaurant has been there a year and no rings or stains. Really amazing product. Halfway between an oil an a varnish. May need to knock it back between coats. 2 should be fine.

Not sure it will work on Iroko, I asked their tech dept and they advised not to try. But I have used it on our oak flooring and work tops and its a fantastic product and really easy to apply. Might be worth a test on a bit of scrap Iroko.