tadcaster bridge collapsed

Johny Walker

i remember the farm i worked at few yrs back he was told he couldnt dig in the beck because of destroying the habitat for crayfish.

I think there isnt a definitive resolution to the problem.But if designated areas around rivers were set aside to hold water and release back slowly when the river levels fall it could help MAYBE

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering how old the bridge was at the time of this collapse?. 50 years 75 over a 100?. I guess my point which no one else has mentioned is that a deteriorating infrastructure of roads and bridges especially older bridges is probably as much to blame as all of the other reasons already mentioned.

easy-lift guy

Just wondering how old the bridge was at the time of this collapse?. 50 years 75 over a 100?. I guess my point which no one else has mentioned is that a deteriorating infrastructure of roads and bridges especially older bridges is probably as much to blame as all of the other reasons already mentioned.

easy-lift guy

Parts of the footings date back to 1642, Ted. One of our newer structures.:001_smile:

Whilst driving up through the south Wales valley, my wife and i were discussing why there was so little evidence of flooding, given how much rain we have had. But when you see how many trees there are on the valley sides........

Wait until they are clear felled you will get to see a major flood then. We get a couple of years of major flooding when a new site is prepped for planting by the FC which involves draining all the bogs/marshland up in the hills then another when the timber is harvested with the EA claiming it is completely unrelated to the forestry work.

Also how often do we see countryfile, when not focusing on some stupid poet that no one has heard of, or touting that bloody calendar, do we see them endorsing the hippies, who campaign to protect a little flower that grows on a grass verge at a roadside, and manage to prevent culvert and run offs being cleaned to protect a plant that shouldn't bloody be there in the first place.

Don't you know by now that countryfile is for the city dwellers to maintain a nice green an fluffy look to the 'sticks'.

Parts of the footings date back to 1642, Ted. One of our newer structures.:001_smile:

As I suspected egg. On my next journey over I will need to consult the locals about any of the older looking bridges before I venture over them. Would any bridge or road be safer say post 1642?. Take care and have a Happy New Year to all.

easy-lift guy

In one of our fields, we have quite a large 'main' kind of ditch that runs through it.

It now CANNOT cope with the extra surface run off from a new housing estate that decided to 'add in' a pipe to it from their capture tanks further up! :mad1:

We'll be expecting an answer of 'so what' when we inform them of the new problem...

They are committing an offence if they have piped the water into your land and you could be entitled to compensation for any damage it causes or work that you have to carry out to accommodate the increase.

Um, not entirely sure re this issue, IF this is the natural drainage route, there is perhaps an issue re the inadequete underground storage tanks to capture the "flash" run-off from the new development.

cheers

m

PS

We live in a Moss, a "wet hole" yet probably one of the last places to be likely to be flooded, BECAUSE the natural undrained Moss acts as a gigantic sponge soaking up vast amounts of rainfall, and releasing it over weeks or months.

Marcus