spurs/spikes

Timberman675

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gecko for me, Velcro all round and short gaffs. They go perfect with meindl airstreams too.. Never an uncomfortable day unless you get sawdust down your trousers and it goes between your shin/trousers and spikes ... 😐

First time I used spikes, had a load of sawdust inside my trousers, and it rubbed my shins red roar. Never had it since thankfully! Been on aluminium Gecko's for just over a year and they're great. Been in them all day, and no probs at all. I like the idea of the carbons, but I'd ruin them, just with the little bit of walking around I do whilst out of the tree.

My first spurs were made by the local blacksmith. Horrible instruments of pain they were, but they did the job. Bought a pair of Klein Tree Climbers in -85, changed the gaffs to the short type pretty soon after. They were with the leather supports, they sometime chafed my shins bleeding, even with safety trousers on.

Got a pair of Opsal Alu Climber Pads after I saw a pole climbing competition in Denmark in -89. With those, I could stand in the tree till I died from starvation :biggrin:

Used those till -05, when a contractor ran out of money, and payed me with equipment. I got a nearly new pair of Buckingham Titanium with the Super Wraps. Have been using those ever since, except when my mate's borrowing them, then it's back to the Kleins. Only problem with the B-hams is, that the gaffs can hit the ground if you don't take the climbers of when walking.

I've tried the Geckos, but don't really trust the velcro tie-ins (My problem).

The moral of the story: Better than focusing only on weight, find something that fit you, and be sure that the shin supports are up to comfort. Don't know where you're operating, but don't buy the gaffs too long, if you don't need them

Opsal pads look a great option for the kleins which on a whole are not a bad spike, would love to try them with those pads!

I think the worse spikes I tried were some honeys bros own brand that had a round gaff on them , proper crippling irons.

Been on carbon geckos for a few years find them really comfy and minimal fatigue, never tried the Buckinghams but had bashins prior to the geckos and was glad to see the back of them.

I think the worse spikes I tried were some honeys bros own brand that had a round gaff on them , proper crippling irons.

Ha ha, medieval implements of torture, hammered out of pig iron and fitted with the smallest pads and narrowest straps available, gaffed out without notice, rime or reason, capable of chafing and causing shins to bleed within mere moments of use, the best boat anchor ever to be sold as a climbing aid.

:laugh1::laugh1:

Ha ha, medieval implements of torture, hammered out of pig iron and fitted with the smallest pads and narrowest straps available, gaffed out without notice, rime or reason, capable of chafing and causing shins to bleed within mere moments of use, the best boat anchor ever to be sold as a climbing aid.

:laugh1::laugh1:

You've tried them too then!! There used to be a fight for the kleins loading up in the morning the loser got these... I think that's probably why I barely used spikes for years 😬

As others have said, if you can try somebody elses first would be best. If you do, make sure that they are adjusted to your size correctly otherwise you will get a false feel of what they are like, this is very important. Mine adjusted incorrectly are torture, but correctly i love them. I have used my kleins for about 10 hrs a week on average for the past 15 or so years and have no issues.