Why are some logs free just lately?

Woodlover

I also think not all tree companies process timber. Also some jobs can be a little further from the depo's and they maybe full of chip and don't mind off loading a bit of it to save a tip off.

Generally if you were to contact a tree surgeon asking about logs there always going to want to charge you let's not forget there's value in timber.

My advice would be to contact all your local companies ask them if they have any jobs local to you where logs will be available and ask if you could pop by and grab a few to lighten there load, of course offering them a drink for it. You maybe surprised and someone's response could be that there willing to give you a load to save them a trip back to the depo.

I'll also venture a guess that the utilities often don't own the trees they're cutting down as they only have a right of way. So they can't take the wood away without the landowner's permission?

No, 50% of the time, I persuade the owner to keep the logs, although I usually find someone local who will take it

I'll also venture a guess that the utilities often don't own the trees they're cutting down as they only have a right of way. So they can't take the wood away without the landowner's permission?

Utilities rarely own any land. there is always a written agreement between the landowner and the utility companies with what happens with the timber

Thanks for the replys all...I now understand the situation more and will respect the fact some logs maybe left for a good reason,or occasionaly just by mistake.Few are free like I have been led to ignarently believe.

The council boss guy I met still confuses me tho,his reply of "they are left so any one can take them" just does not make sence,the logs that time were too big for Jo public ,they were mostly 6 foot long 1 foot min wide trunks, luckerly I have a chainsaw so I was able to cut them on site and get em all,and those were all cut into 6ft slabs for future shelving and tables,too good a find for fire wood.

I would imagine with the mild weather and plenty of cord about most log people are not interested in arb arisings. With log prices trying to compete with low oil it's hard enough to make easy cord pay without hauling crowns and knotty lumps back to the yard even if it's free. If the weather turns cold and the cord dries up things will be different get it while you can.

Thanks for the replys all...I now understand the situation more and will respect the fact some logs maybe left for a good reason,or occasionaly just by mistake.Few are free like I have been led to ignarently believe.

The council boss guy I met still confuses me tho,his reply of "they are left so any one can take them" just does not make sence,the logs that time were too big for Jo public ,they were mostly 6 foot long 1 foot min wide trunks, luckerly I have a chainsaw so I was able to cut them on site and get em all,and those were all cut into 6ft slabs for future shelving and tables,too good a find for fire wood.

It's unlikely the council would officially condone that practice because of the liability issues, particularly where chainsaws are involved. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them denying it while running for cover.

• 6 years later...

I think these days the tree's are also left for the habitat and wildlife, i don't think all are i guess sometimes its cheaper just to leave the logs. This week i was lucky to have a huge load dropped off to me at my yard of 20 tonnes of hard wood. That will keep me busy cutting it for a while around my work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zaf said:

I think these days the tree's are also left for the habitat and wildlife, i don't think all are i guess sometimes its cheaper just to leave the logs. This week i was lucky to have a huge load dropped off to me at my yard of 20 tonnes of hard wood. That will keep me busy cutting it for a while around my work.

Teenage Dirtbag was a banger, anything else in the pipeline? :D 

download.jpg

• Haha 3