3.5 ton or bigger??

NCSTrees

I didn't get a reply when I asked anybody about the age limit on the tests, it tends to be academic but my C1+E is valid for a little while yet till I'm 70, I think the +E as a result of a C+E test will be limited by medical??

Think mine expires in 2032 and do them last year and year before I'll be about 44 by then, I thought the medical was needed again at 50 though

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get a reply when I asked anybody about the age limit on the tests, it tends to be academic but my C1+E is valid for a little while yet till I'm 70, I think the +E as a result of a C+E test will be limited by medical??

The +E on your B will not be medical limited.

The rest will unless they are pre 97 entitlements.

I dont know, its all a far cry from the days I handed over £500 for a three day course for the class 1, it was just a couple of hours driving on test day and a few highway code questions, if you kept the truck off the pavement you passed :001_smile:. Its like any government legislation, top heavy and mind numbingly complicated. Look at all the cr@p you need to go through these days for a bike or a lorry license ,current system needs tidying up because its a its a mess.

Bob

I've just exchanged my old paper licence for a photo card and it looks like I have been given a full bike entitlement!

I've just exchanged my old paper licence for a photo card and it looks like I have been given a full bike entitlement!

Go online to the view a licence service.

https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number

You will then see that its a provisional.

Its easy to see as it has the same start date as your cat B. So unless you took both on the same day thats a clue to its validity.

Hello,

I've recently put my pre-1997 licence in to be exchanged for a French version.

It will be 2 months before I recieve my new licence.

I 'had' the 7.5t+trailer gross train weight 12t

However, I now read that the U.K licence has been downgraded to 7.5t plus 750kg trailer GTW of 850kg

Not good news seeing as I have a 7.5t arriving in a few weeks plus a 1250kg chipper on order PLUS I tow a 3.5t trailer too so 11t GTW.

When did this change in the licence occur?

I last renewed my U.K licence in 2010.

So do I now require a test for a larger trailer OR my HGV tickets...?

That's 1200euros here plus a week out of work.

Ty

Stu

I got pulled by the gendarme for speeding a couple of years ago and was told to change my licence due to being a full time resident.

When we went to the prefecture I was concerned I would loose my grandad rights. When my French licence came back, they had stamped it to drive everything up to 12000kg including bus, space ships and prams.

It might be worth a visit before you take the plunge.

Darren

Just checked mine and I have C1E, so 7.5t + trailer up to 12t GTW or MAM, but they have then put the code 107 after it to limit it to 8.25t

There is no logic to that at all as it's on the next line after my pre '97 class I HGV, now called CE......?

Then D1E (minibus + trailer up to 12t GTW or MAM) has a code 119 - weight limit for vehicle does not apply!

What a mess.

Regards,

Steve.

Just checked mine and I have C1E, so 7.5t + trailer up to 12t GTW or MAM, but they have then put the code 107 after it to limit it to 8.25t

There is no logic to that at all as it's on the next line after my pre '97 class I HGV, now called CE......?

Then D1E (minibus + trailer up to 12t GTW or MAM) has a code 119 - weight limit for vehicle does not apply!

What a mess.

Regards,

Steve.

The logic is that you can pull a heavier trailer whilst your LGV license is valid, however if your tickets lapses then you only have C1E with code 107 limits. Remember your LGV will lapse if you don't reapply every 5 years whilst your C1E is valid until you are 70. A lapsed LGV does not give you the right to pull a trailer behind a 7.5 tonner, the 107 code is there to remind you of this.

So imagine the situation where you have just renewed your licence and your LGV medical. You now have a licence which is valid for 10 years but the LGV part is only valid for 5. If the 107 code was removed because of your C+E entitlement then that would be fine and dandy for 5 years but if,say, you then failed your next medical the 107 code would then come back into force but would you bother to get your licence renewed to reflect this?

Edited by BobG

Stu

I got pulled by the gendarme for speeding a couple of years ago and was told to change my licence due to being a full time resident.

When we went to the prefecture I was concerned I would loose my grandad rights. When my French licence came back, they had stamped it to drive everything up to 12000kg including bus, space ships and prams.

It might be worth a visit before you take the plunge.

Darren

According to my wife, I am not the best behind a pram, I confuse it with a spaceship...

Ty