Reasons for non payment.

Woodworks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodworks how long has it been since invoice? Starscream's comment of worrying after 2 weeks from invoice got me thinking you haven't said how long it's been?

2 weeks is nothing to many with 30 days remittance being the norm and some companies 60 or 90 days. Worth baring in mind,painful as it is😟

Over 100 days! Think it's due :001_smile:

I don't see why I have to put myself out with a long drive to middle of nowhere to confront someone who thinks they can steal from me. The mrs makes the small claims rout sound very straight forward and if it gets that far they are going to be paying interest and the cost of the court plus the invoice. Can't remember all details as the letter before action with it all explained is winging it's way to them now.

Will keep this thread updated as it unravels.

Selling timber to sawmills in commercial forestry is usually 90 days after the lorry drops it off for them, plus the timber can be hanging about on roadside for 2 months before the lorry picks it up, so thats 120 days, so for me to see people panicking here after a couple of weeks is a bit of an eye opener to put it mildly. Granted i know i will be paid for sure whereas you are dealing with joe blogs, but still i see people here worrying for the sake of it.

When I did work for the F/C they stated their payment terms were 30 days from invoice date, but the guy said if you want it sooner just to state you terms on the quote and invoice which I do anyway and I got paid within a week. If I get approached by a company rather than a private customer I ask what their payment terms are, usually it's 30 or 60 days I even had one who told me that they pay 60% after 90 days and the other 40% after 120!! That is why I choose not to work for these companies. If I do feel the need to work for them or fancy the job I put in a BIG price to make waiting worthwhile, I rarely get the work as someone will always work for sweet Fanny Adams. People often think that it could lead to more work with the big company etc so go in with a price to get the work which is generally covering costs, this is totally pointless as by the time you have waited 90 days that money is worthless.

When I did work for the F/C they stated their payment terms were 30 days from invoice date, but the guy said if you want it sooner just to state you terms on the quote and invoice which I do anyway and I got paid within a week. If I get approached by a company rather than a private customer I ask what their payment terms are, usually it's 30 or 60 days I even had one who told me that they pay 60% after 90 days and the other 40% after 120!! That is why I choose not to work for these companies. If I do feel the need to work for them or fancy the job I put in a BIG price to make waiting worthwhile, I rarely get the work as someone will always work for sweet Fanny Adams. People often think that it could lead to more work with the big company etc so go in with a price to get the work which is generally covering costs, this is totally pointless as by the time you have waited 90 days that money is worthless.

If you have any 90 day old money you don't want I will have it . I will of course pay the postage . :biggrin:

Ha,Ha, nice try, ok so it's not worthless, what I was trying to say was that if I do a job for say £500 I pay my workers straight away I then have to wait so I'm out of pocket for say £700 until I get that in. By the time it comes in its allready spent. I'd rather work for people who pay up when I finish the job and I have the money in the bank.

I know plenty in this game including us which are permanently owed between £50-£80K. Its a sort of rolled over amount thats permanently outstanding, it obviously has a knock on effect but you either join in or get out. As for non payers there are three types, those that go bust, those in financial difficulties and then those that habitually knock people. The ones that go bust have to be written off ( in excess £20k last year:thumbdown:), the ones having problems are ok as long as they keep in touch and dont go quiet, then there are the knockers which go in my black book and can expect a very eventful visit before I die ( guaranteed).

Bob

Ha,Ha, nice try, ok so it's not worthless, what I was trying to say was that if I do a job for say £500 I pay my workers straight away I then have to wait so I'm out of pocket for say £700 until I get that in. By the time it comes in its allready spent. I'd rather work for people who pay up when I finish the job and I have the money in the bank.

I understood Hodge matey :biggrin: Just being a knob :001_:biggrin:

Send him a message and say that if he is having financial difficulties perhaps you can come to a payment agreement. if not explain that if it goes to small claims he will have a CCJ against him and then he will have trouble credit from other company's. State you will give him a week to get back to you then start legal action. NO good shouting and screaming at non payers.