Stihl Trimmer Scabbard

Dean Lofthouse

I'm stopping using the scabbard on my new hedgetrimmers, they dont allow the blades to dry if you put them away wet.

Got them out this morning and they were a right mess, the blades are starting to "pit" they have rusted that bad, other trimmers dont have a scabbard and are still ok

Can stihl put some ventilation in their scabbards please

Hold on Mr Lofthouse, how on earth did they get wet????:001_tt2:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just give them a squirt of wd40 when they are going to be used.

I made the mistake of putting a new trimmer down on a lawn in an immaculate garden once on a bone dry day.

Went to use it the next week and it was rusty as hell.:confused1:

Mentioned it to the customer and it turned out a lawn treatment man had been and fertilised the lawn a few days before we went in.

A salutory lesson learnt.

The stihl resin solvent is too expensive if your using them more than twice a week.

so how much fuel do you put in how much do you charge how much would it cost for new cutters

surely if your using them more than twice a week they are earning you a lot more money

look after your tackle and it will look after you:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I've just invested in my first piece of machinery. I'm now the proud owner of a STIHL hedge trimmer. I've always been meticulous about maintaining and cleaning kit and so have good intentions for the hedge trimmers. I read somewhere that WD40 will disolve grease, which made me think maybe it's not the best thing for cutter blades? Does anyone know if it's worth paying the extra for the STIHL resin solvent, or whether it's essentially the same stuff?

Any advice welcomed.

so how much fuel do you put in how much do you charge how much would it cost for new cutters

surely if your using them more than twice a week they are earning you a lot more money

look after your tackle and it will look after you:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Quite agree Bob, a new set of blades for my HS81r is £113.00 plus vat from my local dealer so 12 quids worth of resin remover and a bit of WD is more than worth it.

I sharpen the blades with a flat file, anything else and I reckon you would lose the right angle. Its very tedious and fiddly, so itd doesn't get done as often as it should.

WD40 or similar is good for chasing water off at the end of the day but soon evaporates and won't do much for lubrication of the blades