Sthil Calendar = Boring.

Haironyourchest

Been browsing pics from Sthil's calendars over the years and in all honesty I'd be embarrassed to hang it on the workshop wall.

Not because of prudery mind you, far from it - but simply because its so poorly done. I get the idea - flower of youth, flawless skin, perfect bottoms, buxom bosoms, hair, eyes, lace, etc... and then add some....shop-perfect, never-been-run, homeowner level power equipment. Like a corded hedger. For Christ's sake lads.....

The whole deal is so fake and such a cognitive disconnect. Like none of those ladies have ever handled with interest, let alone run, a forestry or landscaping tool. The shoot director poses them on log piles in lingerie, balances a crappy saw nearby and thats supposed to be...what? Daring? Exciting? Get real....

If I ever produce a calendar it will feature women who actually do physical work for a living, or who are at least gym-fit with some meat on their bones. Costumery will be lumberjack style kit (super-tight cutoff pants and low vests, ragged and filthy) and makeup will be resin, dust and mud.

And all my models will be shot while actually using the tools, live action stills - as it were. PPE can be suspended for the brief duration of the shots as each setup will be a highly controlled environment and rehearsed with full PPE. If thats not acceptable then we'll shoot with dead saws and photoshop the flying chips in afterward.

The catchphrase will be - "Real Men Need...Real Women...And Real Tools.":001_cool:

Whaddya think? Would you buy my calender over Stihl's?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And by the way, Sthil do they same malarky in their catalouges....Its gas, they got these guys straight out of model-agencies with the grizzled chins and the chiseled grins, clean-cut and sporting brand new sthil branded kit and saws, trying hard to look like forestry workers...Its clear from their postures that they aren't familiar with working with chainsaws etc. Subtle, but there...

Real loggers.... well. We know what they look like. But I for one would be more induced to buy equipment if the ads were honest and down to earth, featuring real guys and girls carrying on their trade.

The catalogue reminds me of those magazines the Jehova's Witnesses bring around, with the illustrations of heaven, where everyone is smily and clean and everything is new!! Sthil product catalogue is like JW heaven for loggers!!

I'm currently doing my cs30/31 (assessment on Saturday) and the hottest little sort turned up to do just the cs30 part. Couldn't believe it. Seeing her bent over in her stihl hi flex cross cutting timber was enough for me to lose concentration! She'd definitely get a spot on a calendar.

You know the drill, pictures or it didn't happen :lol:

edit to add, only kidding don't get arrested or anything stupid.

Edited by peatff
adding get out clause.

You know the drill, pictures or it didn't happen :lol:

edit to add, only kidding don't get arrested or anything stupid.

Haha, challenge accepted! She was only in Monday and Tuesday but she'll be back on Saturday for the assessment. Crapping myself about the assessment actually. I've got lots of experience in the industry but the theory and questions are starting to do my head in :thumbdown:

Haha, challenge accepted! She was only in Monday and Tuesday but she'll be back on Saturday for the assessment. Crapping myself about the assessment actually. I've got lots of experience in the industry but the theory and questions are starting to do my head in :thumbdown:

You'll be fine. Only eejits fail their 30/31. Just revise the criteria, you know the rest.