Getting work

Bird

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set up on my own three years ago, having the "front" to charge what you should comes after a day or two of grafting and knackering a chain or some other small item and realising you've seen yourself short. As has been said for two men with truck and chipper 350 should be the minimum (location dependent) but aiming for and average of 450-500 per day.

As for splitting down the middle most self employed people realise the fella finding the work and running the majority of the kit pays them a day rate and not a percentage of the days turnover. People who expect half won't be working for any professional outfits in my opinion.

As for advertising i find, facebook, local newspaper add and flyers work for me. I find the best time to drop flyers is between 1430 and 1630 as that's when the school run is getting done so usually you can chat to a couple of people and put a face to the business name.

Charge what you like. We all have an amount in mind, how honest we are with each other (on a forum which is often used by vearious people from the same companies) is a matter of opinion.

heres another way to think about it....

You say you split the dosh 50/50 with your 'tasks as discussed at the start of each job' person. If he is happy with £75 (his half of the £150) but you charge more than £150 to cover the other costs highlighted in this thread - he will still receive the same decent dosh for decent work but you will be covering the other costs.

Don't be ashamed to charge the right amount.

Some days, after expenses, I take home less than my rake monkey. Other days I take home a lot more than her, but when my chipper needed £800 spending on it I didn't ask her to contribute.

Do your own maths and be proud of your business - gonads to the trolls, the Audi drivers and the 'you can only be a man in a Unimog' brigade.

Or a member of the Trained Walking Arisings Technician Society.

Wasn't there a good thread on here where it was suggested that walking back from the chipper wasn't fast enough?

Variable velocity arb-waste translocation professionals