When taking dismantling a stem

Lancstree

In my opioin when it comes to a emergency rescue you use all that around you...

I worked with a guy who got a his groundie to lower off his casultly off with the lowering rig that was being used at the time as it was there. think i would do the same. good to have a plan before the S*** hits the fan though.....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have started using a ropeguide now and it is excellent, but on my big dismantles(if i ever get any)i am going to work off my lowering pulley and run a rope to the ground and tie it off like srt, with a prussik installed. i know if i am on my sidestrop then i am goosed but it will minimise the risk, and it is easy enough for the groundie to get me down.:001_cool:

sorry wrong picture but you know what i mean

59765493deff7_show018.jpg.a6caa1a765a63c7ce83da5d2893b5077.jpg

Interesting.How does the groundie do it.?

Rescuing climber gets to the casualty, unlocks the figure 8 and instructs the groundy to take the life line. Once the climber has released the strop the groundy can lower the casualty through the figure 8. So it takes a team of 3 for this type of rescue.

In my opioin when it comes to a emergency rescue you use all that around you...

I worked with a guy who got a his groundie to lower off his casultly off with the lowering rig that was being used at the time as it was there. think i would do the same. good to have a plan before the S*** hits the fan though.....

We timed a rescue on a large tree , it took around 12 mins to get to the casualty . Then we pulled the climber up to the casulty on the lowering system ,4 mins to get him down ..no brainer .We now install a rescue line eg your buddys rope on all big trees.

Two hands on the bat rope robin.

We timed a rescue on a large tree , it took around 12 mins to get to the casualty . Then we pulled the climber up to the casulty on the lowering system ,4 mins to get him down ..no brainer .We now install a rescue line eg your buddys rope on all big trees.

Two hands on the bat rope robin.

Thats the great thing about using srt, you just leave the line in the tree most of the guys i work with can gett up on an srt rig, we all use similar set-ups so are all familiar and can can use quickly others systems.

On a pole though, I don't bother with a running bowline takes to long to tie/untie is a pain to move down past lumpy bits etc the same with an adjustable saver. I just choke the stem with a karabiner not exactly best practice but with a suitable round profile biner is in my opinion safe enough.

As for rescue on a pole its certainly something i need to think more about, in the scenario i place myself if i had to perform a rescue i'd just spike up install an adjustable saver as high as possible move to the casualty attach myself to them remove the lanyard then descend keeping them on the choked line only with most of if not all of their weight on my system essentially making their system choked single leg a back up.

Choking is simple but far from perfect, its better than just chucking your rope round and clipping in as normal in my opinion as it makes life a little bit easier for the rescuer.

Some intresting info to be found here on karabiner configurations treemagineers

You need not untie the running bowline. Leave a longer than normal tail from the bowline and the knot will break from lower down the tree. You can use it to descend to the next cut but it can be a bit fiddly if there are some stubs or twigs.

I've not practiced this too much yet but I read about it in a Paolo article somewhere and it makes sense.

You might want to try an adjustable friction saver? Allows you to move up and down the stem and is retrievable from any position in the tree. Does away with the dodgy crash and burn SRT element of the choked bowline/krab.

61312-img_1725_cropped_to_29%25.jpg

Thats excellent!!!

And so simple :thumbup1:

Nice one, thanks!!