300 tdi

woody paul

Hammer and very small chisel is normally what I use, if you cant catch it on the edge upwards try tapping it down and backwards at the front, or at the back towards the front so it slides out of the groove with a pin punch, if that makes sense ?

Hammer and very small chisel is normally what I use, if you cant catch it on the edge upwards try tapping it down and backwards at the front, or at the back towards the front so it slides out of the groove with a pin punch, if that makes sense ?

Have tried that but with a brass drift with no luck.

Land rover has developed a tapping from engine turns out crank shaft bolt have worked loss and the timing belt crank shaft pulley has worn so has the wood drift key. So has anyone got any tips on how to get stubborn keys out have tried ever thing i now.

Hi Paul I will ask a mate for you thanks Jon

Don't use a brass implement the key so history so use a sharp chisel to get purchase on it. If the key is completely mullerd and all else fails welding something to the remains of the key will give you the purchase you need. The heat involved will also help.

Be careful with the shaft

It's a while since I looked at one but i have it in memory that it's a parallel key and watch that auto correct its woodruff, not wood drift

You need to find the fitter that did the last belt change and batter him. The bolts dont come loose on their own, its just not been tightened properly in the first place. If that lot has been rattling about on the crank I would imagine the damper, sprocket and crank will now have signs of wear which is less than ideal. If the woodruff keys are still able to stop the sprocket and damper spinning on the crank I would change the belt, degrease the crank and the inside of the damper, smear a light coat of araldite on the crank and inside of damper, bolt it all up tight and leave it overnight. That works and will last the 70,000 miles till the next belt is due ( dont ask me how I know :) ). That gives you time to find another crank and damper ( there`s one here you can have for nowt ).

Bob