Disc brakes some Advice needed please

Will Heal

My skids fabia has gone in the garage for its 60000 mile service and they have just rung me to say front pads are85% worn and the discs have a lip on them they want to change the discs as well. Are they trying it on? They want £200 pounds to do it as well

Thanks will

Have a look at the disks . If they have a lip on them then I would change them myself . They would still work but as they get thinner they heat up quicker and can warp . Its then that you can get that " pumping " sensation at the pedal .

Edited by Stubby

It's a norm price for a main dealer to be honest, and 60k would be around average for wear on them, but I would personally look at doing it myself, or getting the parts and paying someone else to do it.

£50 - £75 tops for the discs and pads

There shouldn't be a pumping action. The disc seals should keep the piston where it is. If it's that bad then the pads are worn far too far.

A lip on the disc is fine up to a point. As long as the new pads can bed against the disc they'll still work fine.

I'd expect a couple of sets of pads per disc. There will be service levels in the handbook which can be checked if you really want to go that far

There should be a manufacturers recommended minimum disc thickness.

I had a transit minibus that I thought needed new discs last year, it felt like a deep lip,but it was actually a huge amount of rust built up on it. when checked with a mic the disc was hardly worn.

There shouldn't be a pumping action. The disc seals should keep the piston where it is. If it's that bad then the pads are worn far too far.

A lip on the disc is fine up to a point. As long as the new pads can bed against the disc they'll still work fine.

I'd expect a couple of sets of pads per disc. There will be service levels in the handbook which can be checked if you really want to go that far

So you have never felt that at the pedal when disks are warped ?

Hi

As others state there should be a minimum thickness as all discs will have some 'lip' as the pads wear them in use.

Changing discs & pads is not exactly difficult providing all the bolts undo (isn't everything?) but then it appears to me your garage is providing a reasonable price.

If you change your discs it is good practise to change the pads & take it easy on the brake pedal until they bed in as there may be just a small area of contact at first which can cause hot spots and problems with wear.

N

Edited by NFG

So you have never felt that at the pedal when disks are warped ?

I with stubby on this warped discs, when you brake at hight speed the pedal goes"bump bump" :001_tt2:

But what do I know 😜

Get new pads and discs, fit the yourself 👍 45min tops

There should be a manufacturers recommended minimum disc thickness.

I had a transit minibus that I thought needed new discs last year, it felt like a deep lip,but it was actually a huge amount of rust built up on it. when checked with a mic the disc was hardly worn.

Correct and good advice. You always get a lip formed on discs through wear and rust and is perfectly normal. Manufacturers give a minimum disc thickness and if you are close or beyond that, they need replacing.

If they need doing, look up the cost of the discs and pads, if the labour is then a couple of hours then you are about right on the cost.