Piranha Chainsaw Chain - Press Release

Steve Bullman

As you are probably aware Piranha® is a new brand on the scene, we don't quite have the full range available yet and we are ever expanding, we will soon have stock of chains and bars to fit what we believe to be the popular saws based on research.

Please let us know what saws you all run so we can build a list of the popular chains needed and make getting those in a priority.

With regards to the chain selection process, I have taken it on board and I am currently working on making the chains available by Pitch & Gauge. This should be up & running by the end of the day.

If anybody has any questions or is struggling to find the chain for their saw please give us a call we're always happy to help :thumbup1:

Rich

Northern Arb

Any updates on when you are expanding the range?

Whole reels would be of more interest than loops.

Part numbers for the specific chain types I would be most interested in are:

70-C1S-100R

70-C2S-100R

At some point in the future also:

70-A1-100R

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought four .325" Piranha chains for my processor last week. Thought I'd try one with an artic load of larch (22.9t)

Stuff was pretty clean and varying in diameter from 6" to 14".

First impressions were very good. Seemed to be very sharp out of the bag, didn't stretch as much as I expected for a cheap chain, in fact it didn't stretch any more or less than a new Oregon one would

Most impressive thing about the chain, barring the price, was that it was not needing sharpened even after doing the artic load.

First sharpening took place after halfway through the next lorry load (21.2t) of sitka spruce this time. Easy to sharpen and still sharp after finishing the lorry load.

In all honesty for anyone using a firewood processor you'd be mad not to use the Piranha chains. I hire out the machine at £750 to process an artic load of 3m softwood. Why pay almost three times as much for a chain that doesn't perform three times as much?

I suppose that firewood processors put far less demand on a chain than chainsaws do, simply because they are not being used at infinitely variable angles or being jammed as much.

I bought some for my little 021. They look decent enough, but I found it made the saw jumpy and vibey as if the rakers had been taken down. I did try to file a different profile on them without much luck. Went in the bin I'm afraid. The larger chains may be better though, can't comment on those.

I bought some for my little 021. They look decent enough, but I found it made the saw jumpy and vibey as if the rakers had been taken down. I did try to file a different profile on them without much luck. Went in the bin I'm afraid. The larger chains may be better though, can't comment on those.

This was/is my experience with the one chain we have that is on a 540xp. Very jarring. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with that always took the chain gauges too low. Stays sharp long enough though.

Can anyone confirm that not all chains are like this?

Can anyone confirm that not all chains are like this?

The .325/1.5/72 chains I've bought for the processor all grab the log with more bite than the Oregon ones I've used previously. This is presumably because the rakers are set too low. Superb for the WP36 processor but would be reluctant to use them on a processor with a hydraulically controlled saw simply because you need to have a very light touch with them or else they take a fair bite and strain motors etc.

For my processor though, I will be buying a lot more just incase they go out of business because folks with saws are not buying enough of them.

Three chains for the price of one is great value as long as you can put up with the rakers being a little low, especially as they stay sharp for so long and even after processing 75 ton they are showing no sign of abnormal wear.

I would not use them on a chainsaw though, kickback is a PITA and is not something I want a lot of

John