Piranha Chainsaw Chain - Press Release

Steve Bullman

Got in touch with Northern Arb via Ebay today and they have said that they will have reels of .325 1.5 chain on Ebay as soon as they have worked out a price for them..hopefully later this week but could be early next week

I'm delighted with the performance of them on my WP36 processor, over too tons of larch and spruce been cut to 25cm lengthened only sharpened two chains twice. No breakages, no abnormal wear and after a couple of sharpens the initial "bite" they had is now much less and far more manageable.

As long as the price is as low as it is on their Ebay page I can see Northern Arb doing huge business with these chains.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used the 550 today for the first time on this chain, initially cut brilliantly, but on cutting down a stump must have hit something, didn't feel a nail (cut was about a meter off of the ground so not dirt) chain is scored much more than I'd have expected so a bit concerned the metal is too soft. Probably gonna chuck that chain and start over with the other one 🤔

Used the 550 today for the first time on this chain, initially cut brilliantly, but on cutting down a stump must have hit something, didn't feel a nail (cut was about a meter off of the ground so not dirt) chain is scored much more than I'd have expected so a bit concerned the metal is too soft. Probably gonna chuck that chain and start over with the other one 🤔

Thanks for reporting back on that Dan.

Do you think that first Piranha chain would recover after a good sharpening?

I duffed my first Husky chain in after hitting a large stone.... couldn't seem to sharpen it up properly, almost as if the metal had heated up and gone extra hard.

cheers, steve

I'm not convinced it will due to the damage, gave it a sharpen, a good 7 strokes to get back to an edge, got the cutting speed back but was cutting around corners after that. Guessing the scoring is causing it (been doing this 16 years so think I've got the hang of sharpening!) but the metal wasn't hard on the file at all so a regular sharpen shouldn't be a problem. I'll get a pic in the morning

I'm not convinced it will due to the damage, gave it a sharpen, a good 7 strokes to get back to an edge, got the cutting speed back but was cutting around corners after that. Guessing the scoring is causing it (been doing this 16 years so think I've got the hang of sharpening!) but the metal wasn't hard on the file at all so a regular sharpen shouldn't be a problem. I'll get a pic in the morning

Very interesting.... is that the first time you've had a chain go like that (scoring)?

I'm intrigued to see a photo of that.... :thumbup1:

cheers, Steve

No but only after hitting stones, concrete, thick nails etc but I'd expect to hear or feel them. Never noticed anything till started a new cut and it bounced off the wood! A sharpen and no longer cutting in a straight line. Not gonna mess with it too much as its only a £6 chain, but as said the initial feel was spot on before that

Looks like whatever it was has rounded the cutting edge.... has it also bent them over slightly? Or maybe that's just the way it looks from the angle of the photo?

Looks like you'd have to file half of the cutting edge away before getting any kind of decent edge back... so yeah, like you said.... best to move on to the next chain!

Thanks for posting.

cheers, steve