Refresher courses?!?

TKO

Can anyone tell me whether you are required by law to undertake refresher courses? For cs38, cs39 etc.....

I have had a quick google, but can't find anywhere that we are required to retake/refresh the qualification within the "specified" 5 years.

We regularly undertake aerial rescue practices at work to keep us sharp. But it's only recently iv noticed various training companies laying it out like its law.

Is it something to do with the newer tests (post cs units) and if so do we get grandfather rights?

Edited by TKO
Forgot to finish a sentence

No requirement by law to have them but there are lots of places expecting you to have done them now.

If they are worth doing depends on you're circumstances. If you use saws all the time then i personally don't think its worth it, if you use one irregularly then yes it is worth it.

I have to do refresher courses, no ticket, no worky. Perhaps in my industry we are being mugged off?

Some of my work is subterranean, so I carry an escape breathing apparatus set with me. I only hire these sets now as I don't use them on a regular basis. They were always 15 minutes of air, roughly, depending on how fit you are/ obstacles we need to get over to get out of the hole.

On my last refresher I was told these BA sets now only hold 10 mins worth of air. Glad I got told this! Thinking you've got 15mins to live when in reality you've only got 10 mins could catch ya off side.

Refreshers ARE a 'recommendation' (see FISA 805) below BUT recommended by:

1. The HSE (the regulator)

2. FISA (a significant industry body)

3. Arb. Assoc. ( as above...I hope :001_rolleyes:)

4. City & Guilds / NPTC and Lantra (may be viewed with scepticism)

5. Insurance companies / courts and

6. Contractual / commercial client etc.

Hence there's good enough reason to consider refresher training seriously. Wherever possible concentrate on refreshing skills you don't often use, inc. First Aid (industry specific) - aerial rescue - large tree felling - windblown trees etc. As far as refreshing / updating quals. always try to 'upskill', i.e small tree felling (CS31) to medium/large tree felling (CS32), or chainsaw rope and harness (CS39) to aerial tree rigging (CS41.)

Hope this helps to give a balanced view.

Cheers..

Paul

FISA 805 Training and Certs.pdf