No such thing as free firewood!

spandit

Some very kind members on here have, in the last few months, given me some logs in exchange for letting them dispose of chip and brash here. The logs weren't cut to length or split, obviously, but they've been mounting up in addition to some other chunks of lime and horse chestnut we were given.

Anyway, hired a log splitter today to start dealing with them. It's an LS550 25 tonne petrol job and although it's really slow, it hasn't faltered on even the gnarliest stuff. The lovely straight grained sycamore barely needs to touch the blade before it splits but the apple has put up more resistance.

Beginning to think, however, that although I now have a reasonable pile of split logs, the hire (and petrol) cost, combined with the considerable effort of manhandling everything, means that I probably would have been better off buying seasoned logs in the first place! :001_tt2:

You must be strong chaps, I could barely lift some of the pieces and they've been drying for quite a while :D

I started clearing ditches of wood and any other local source, got a fair bit off family and guys on here, since then I have learnt more than I care to mention about chainsaws.

I have repaired and tuned all my own saws - purchased for pennies and now worth hundreds plus I now have a tidy repair business and many happy customers. Not a bad turn of events IMO:thumbup: