Chainsaw Newbie - First time buyer, all advice welcome

bvfservices

Hi guys, newbie to chainsaws here. I've been extensively browsing this excellent forum reading up on all different types of chainsaws, equipment, techniques and training.

I've never used a chainsaw before, but i'm proficient in most things petrol-powered and their respective maintenance, usually doing all of my own maintenance and repairs. I use strimmers, my trusty husky hedgecutter, my push mower, wee Kemp chipper and various other tools that require good old common sense and maintenance!

Looking for my first ever chainsaw is proving to be a bit of a headache. I'm sure the best choice for a novice like me would be a new, unabused Husky 135. Seems to tick all of the boxes, and the best deal seems to be online, so i'm assuming i'd be in charge of the pdi, as online would save me £50 over my local dealers, not to be sniffed at, really.

Would be buying this to tentatively train myself, starting out with fallen trees with permission and light (snedding..?) work .

Just looking for ideas and tips from you seasoned professional gents, first safety gear ideas etc, as all i have at the moment are a well worn pair of gloves and ear defenders.

Many thanks in advance, gents :blushing::001_rolleyes:

Prepare to be inundated with advice,most good some not so good.Some will promote certain brands of chainsaw,some will go the training and PPE route,which i would advocate.But at the end of it all you might be slightly wiser but a whole lot more confused.Good luck Have fun!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh, i do like the husky 435.

Think this would be a good starter then? Read up on them a lot and i'd be prepared to pay extra for better, only thing is fr jones have them at £300, but my local stealership wants £444 for the same saw :confused1:

Working with customers before, i know all about markup, but isnt 144 quid over what fr jones make a profit at - just a bit ridiculous? Worth me going to see at least, try my haggling skills out again :001_rolleyes:

Ooooh, i do like the husky 435.

Think this would be a good starter then? Read up on them a lot and i'd be prepared to pay extra for better, only thing is fr jones have them at £300, but my local stealership wants £444 for the same saw :confused1:

Working with customers before, i know all about markup, but isnt 144 quid over what fr jones make a profit at - just a bit ridiculous? Worth me going to see at least, try my haggling skills out again :001_rolleyes:

Hi, well yes a £144 over Jonsies price does seem a bit ridiculous - worth an ask if they can move a bit.

The local dealer should provide you with first class service should problems occur & help if you need it whereas anything bought from tinterwebs is on an RTB basis for support which costs time and money - that judgement is up to you, ask questions about support & see if they are keen to show you their workshops (hopefully well organised) which our local dealer happily did, or if they can give a demo of that or a similar saw may give you some confidence. On the other hand FR Jones & other sponsors of Arbtalk we have used are excellent to deal with.

A friend of ours bought a 435 from a relative who runs a biz in Scotland and seemed quite a nice saw.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record player, the Dolmar 420 (or perhaps 350) seem quite nice alternatives theres plenty of other threads discussing them along with a certain Norwegian chappie declaring his undying love for Husqvarna 550s :biggrin:.

N

Edited by NFG

Hmmm.. thanks for the advice NFG!

My local dealer who i got my Husky trimmer from (different to quote stated) has one, says they retail at £444 :S

But he's got one on the shelf that he has from Huskys promo last month that he can do for £340 with a spare chain. Sound good? I'd prefer to keep it local as im a novice, and he's only like 10-15 miles down the road and my closest machinery dealer. Mentioned Stihl earlier as i was impressed with how helpful they were, and they're only a mile from Husky ;)

I think i'll go and have a look on Saturday if i have time, i do prefer Huskys stuff tbh and at least being new it should have a decent warranty. Probably run it on Motomix i bought for trimmer to keep it singing pretty, as i dont have an Aspen dealer local.

... Buy from your local dealer I'd say. Mine was bought online but its not worth saving the fifty quid IMHO. When you take it in the first question will be 'where did you buy it'. If you didn't buy from them you can't expect them to make servicing your saw a priority.

He's going to be doing his own servicing and maintenance, as he does on his other machines. If dealer servicing is the only reason for buying local and he's not going to use them for that, he might as well save the £50.

If you're buying new online, then Stihl is out, due to their particular sales policy. Basically, anything with a moving cutter can only be handed over in person, (even if you've paid online/over the phone).

Edited by TGB

Considering my local if its 340, not a great deal more and mainly for warranty repairs. Its what is swinging my decision towards dealer, who i'm sure i'll be on good terms with soon with two major (for me) purchases this year

And i will probably be doing my own maintenance, but somebody's gonna have to show me how to sharpen a chainsaw chain!

:001_tt2:

Hi guys, newbie to chainsaws here. I've been extensively browsing this excellent forum reading up on all different types of chainsaws, equipment, techniques and training.

I've never used a chainsaw before, but i'm proficient in most things petrol-powered and their respective maintenance, usually doing all of my own maintenance and repairs. I use strimmers, my trusty husky hedgecutter, my push mower, wee Kemp chipper and various other tools that require good old common sense and maintenance!

Looking for my first ever chainsaw is proving to be a bit of a headache. I'm sure the best choice for a novice like me would be a new, unabused Husky 135. Seems to tick all of the boxes, and the best deal seems to be online, so i'm assuming i'd be in charge of the pdi, as online would save me £50 over my local dealers, not to be sniffed at, really.

Would be buying this to tentatively train myself, starting out with fallen trees with permission and light (snedding..?) work .

Just looking for ideas and tips from you seasoned professional gents, first safety gear ideas etc, as all i have at the moment are a well worn pair of gloves and ear defenders.

Many thanks in advance, gents :blushing::001_rolleyes:

Here is the best advise I can give you...BUY "STIHL CHAINSAWS" and not the other ones:laola:

God help me but him above is right here. As far as small homeowner type saws Stihl are far more user friendly.

I started with an MS211. Still got it. Pulls a 14" bar well enough if you're just starting on smaller stuff.

A tool is only as good as the care you give it, so keep it sharp and clean. Use good fuel and 2 stroke. Let the saw cut for you. Don't force it.

Regarding training, the user manual has a pretty comprehensive basic starter guide. That with common sense and ppe should do you fine.