Am I nuts?

Taupotreeman

Well, I gave up being full time self employed in 2011 and went and worked for local government. When I was SE I managed to make ends meet, just, bought a truck and chipper etc but steady work wasn't happening.

Council offered me a good package, $65k a year plus vehicle. New management moved in almost 6 months ago and for 5 of those six months my life has been miserable. All responsibilities removed, I don't know what I'm doing from one day to the next, massive case of micro managing, constant undermining, mind games, you name it, it's happening. My 2IC has just given notice and mine goes in on Monday and I go back to be SE and maybe picking up some casual driving work etc to make up the shortfall. Been arguing the decision with myself for a couple of weeks but decided enough was enough after a not so subtle implication of theft yesterday (unfounded I might add). So........am I dumb ass?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous employer told me I had to turn a blind eye to safety issues. 6 weeks later I was handing my notice in and starting a new job.

Sometimes you just have to move on.....

Do you know any of the bosses to talk to? Maybe see what they have to say?

Even with new management in, isn't there a formal grievance procedure you can follow in this instance as this is a local government employer?

I'm thinking along the lines of work place harassment by the managers or they are pushing you into constructive dismissal?

Surely your overall employer i.e. the council, has a large HR dept or similar to deal with these kind of problems? Try to gather evidence of their mistreatment of you, save emails, write down conversations witnessed by someone you can trust etc.

It may be a bit early to hand your notice in yet - I would try to hit back through the proper channels first.

I work for my local authority and i know EXACTLY what you mean and how you feel.Simple fact is it a big decision and only you can make it.The real teller for me when i left my last job was gettin up in the morning and dreading going in-thats the point you know somethings got to give.If the job and the people are making you miserable as well as accusing you of theft,then its time to go.You never know,a year from now you may look back on this as the best decision you ve ever made.Good luck-keep us posted

Well, I gave up being full time self employed in 2011 and went and worked for local government. When I was SE I managed to make ends meet, just, bought a truck and chipper etc but steady work wasn't happening.

Council offered me a good package, $65k a year plus vehicle. New management moved in almost 6 months ago and for 5 of those six months my life has been miserable. All responsibilities removed, I don't know what I'm doing from one day to the next, massive case of micro managing, constant undermining, mind games, you name it, it's happening. My 2IC has just given notice and mine goes in on Monday and I go back to be SE and maybe picking up some casual driving work etc to make up the shortfall. Been arguing the decision with myself for a couple of weeks but decided enough was enough after a not so subtle implication of theft yesterday (unfounded I might add). So........am I dumb ass?

Oh sorry forgot to say-your not a dumb ass!

Even with new management in, isn't there a formal grievance procedure you can follow in this instance as this is a local government employer?

I'm thinking along the lines of work place harassment by the managers or they are pushing you into constructive dismissal?

Surely your overall employer i.e. the council, has a large HR dept or similar to deal with these kind of problems? Try to gather evidence of their mistreatment of you, save emails, write down conversations witnessed by someone you can trust etc.

It may be a bit early to hand your notice in yet - I would try to hit back through the proper channels first.

Yes there is 10 Bears but unfortunately, it seems my manager, and her manager, have this kind of behaviour down to a fine art whereby it's very hard to actually pinpoint sufficient instances. No emails, one on one conversations or only in the presences of her direct manager so it's my word against theirs basically. I did some research and I think the word used for the behaviour is mobbing. It's a kind of phycological bullying. If it came from a man you can at least have a ding dong about it but coming from a woman it's quite hard. My HR dept. are renowned for being toothless but I do have a meeting with them. They were looking, at my request, at sending me to a stress management councillor but then I feel that tends to say it's me with the problem when clearly I don't believe it is. And yes, I do believe constructive dismissal is the desired outcome.

Don't let the Bastards get you down mate. I had a similar sort of incident when I worked for a big Corporation. Managers backing-up managers. The HR department were next door to useless. I tried to get hold of senior management, to no avail. I wouldn't let the matter lie. Go straight to the top, aim for the directors, if you can't get direct phone numbers or email addresses go to their office and sit it out until they show up. When you challenge the "rule makers" it's Funny how things that some poxed-up manager thinks is Gospel change in a matter of minutes!

Patience is required, if you have that hold out and they will hang by their own procedures and policies that they try to hide behind.

No man your not nuts....i was in the same boat...gave my notice in yesterday. LA poor disorganised management, favouritism of a incompetent break everything time wasting back stabbing inexperienced let's put you on investigation and give u 2months off with full pay then reinstate u "supervisor", had enough in the end realising I couldn't change them along with 8odd former employees who saw the same fate. They now have a supervisor supervising the supervisor who supervises the climber. Happiness is key in life and work plays a big part of that. Stay happy👍🏾