In Poland with the new sawmill...

Big J

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it move and turn that log on the hydraulics or is that just a bit too big!

No - the hydraulics run out of steam at about 40" diameter. They weren't uprated (though I should have asked, with hindsight). They will rotate it once you've slabbed a half dozen boards off the top.

Yea you can fault that Jon. Would you change anything on it. How are the hydraulic speed and strength wise. I would love to come and see it, but it's so far.

Cheers Grant

Hydraulics are extremely quick, but could be stronger. Something I would change if ordering again (which I will - give me a year or two and I'll upgrade again). They will handle logs up to about 2.5t and 40" diameter easily. Beyond that requires some wiggling and practice. Heavier logs are fine if longer (ie lower diameter) and uniform in dimensions. I've not had the chance yet, but I'm sure a 20ft length of 40" softwood would move around fine with the hydraulics.

hydraulic speed is set by the flow rate, strength, by the operating pressure and dia of rams, these things are easily upgraded John, do you know if the mill builder uses different sized pumps, or are stacked pump setups available (these can provide the best of both worlds). The mill looks the biz, and as you say bigger is better...lol, some really good innovative equipment comming out of poland and eastern Europe these days, putting the UK to shame, patiently waiting for more vids if the big stuff, we all seem to manage to mill small timber, but are still in awe of large dia capability

Don't get as many large logs as I'd like. Most are in the 1-3 tonne range, so nothing exceptional there. Might be bringing a load of large oak and a load of large elm back to the yard, so potential there. A couple of the elms are oversized even for my mill.

I'll perhaps speak to Trak-met about an hydraulic pump upgrade. It's not a major issue at all though - just something I'd have changed if ordering it again.

he is milling a beech for me at near capacity i think and i've asked for a vid to add to my website so we'll have one soon.

Right enough!

Bang on capacity I think. It's 4ft and a smidge, but slightly eliptical so probably 115cm x 135cm.

I shall maybe see about a friend coming and doing a better (than iphone) video....

sounds good big j.

how realistic would it be for you to count the age of this beast mate?

i always love to give my customers some background to the age of trees i use.

I will do my best. Beech doesn't have the most visible growth rings, but I will try.