Machines... Is age just a number...

swinny

We run an 80's U1250ag unimog and it doesn't miss a beat (although it's having a new clutch fitted next week)

Also an 02 plate transit tipper.

I dread the thought of replacing either vehicle. The new trannys look awful and the engine has shrunk to medium car size. 2.2L

The firm that used to own our Mog replaced it with a new shape one and have already got rid of it.

I like the look of the Kamaz trucks that are made in Russia. They look pretty indestructible and win the Paris Dakar. Not sure if they do a 3.5t tipper though :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big issue is spares availability. A machine which you rely on becomes obsolete when neither the OEM nor reasonable aftermarket parts are manufactured. Two of the longest running arb-related products I can think of against this criterion are the Stihl 090 and the Series 2 Land Rover - the latter still being repairable if you want to (and can afford the fuel bills!) at up to 57 years old.

Another factor is compliance with current safety requirements - I suspect there are a good many heavy old saws, without AV systems or chainbrakes, still sat on people's shelves in full working order.

Alec

I won't buy anything I can't afford to pay for outright or repair myself. I hear all the arguments about tax efficiency of new kit but the money still needs to be earned to get the benefit. I see a lot of our subbies with kit they have on the strap and often wonder if they are working for the kit or wether the kits working for them, most of them certainly don't seem to financially benefit from their purchases .It all breaks down new or old so I don't see much difference really, I am writing this while taking a break after fitting a new seal in the drive box of a 25k machine that's less than nine months old. 😁

Bob

I won't buy anything I can't afford to pay for outright or repair myself. I hear all the arguments about tax efficiency of new kit but the money still needs to be earned to get the benefit. I theihhe a lot of our subbies with kit they have on the strap and often wonder if they are working for the kit or wether the kits working for them, most of them certainly don't seem to financially benefit from their purchases .It all breaks down new or old so I don't see much difference really, I am writing this while taking a break after fitting a new seal in the drive box of a 25k machine that's less than nine months old. 😁

Bob

Exactly Bob.... A lot of people are in business to get nice new shiny machines, it makes them look as they are doing well, anyone running their own business should be money motivated for the sole purpose of increasing their bank balance and certainly not trying to look all flash and self important.

I know a chap who lives in a rented house that runs about in a twelve year old van, Hasn't got a car, and who's a multi multi millionaire from running his businesses on a shoestring budget.

For me it's reliability

We travel far and wide and don't want to drive 2 hours to not be able to do a job, also we do nights when the spare shop is closed.

Of course new machines break but less likely, in theroy

Conventional engineering wisdom says failure rates normally follow a standard bath tub curve. New machines have failures due to build quality problems etc, then a low rate followed by a rise due to wearing out. Best to run along the bottom of the bath.

Exactly Bob.... A lot of people are in business to get nice new shiny machines, it makes them look as they are doing well, anyone running their own business should be money motivated for the sole purpose of increasing their bank balance and certainly not trying to look all flash and self important.

I know a chap who lives in a rented house that runs about in a twelve year old van, Hasn't got a car, and who's a multi multi millionaire from running his businesses on a shoestring budget.

I just can't see the logic in that at all.:confused1:

Good on him for making a successful business, but as for not spending the money!

No problem in running old equipment if you look after it and it is still economical compared to the cost of something new.

I would rather have the cash than invest it in the business if I can help it as long as the business and me isn't suffering for it.