Wellingtonia Dismantle Ideas

Joe Newton

We don't do firewood or milling. Timber is a waste product for us which gets sold on.

By all means make me an offer for it.

Same here Joe, it doesn't work out for us either. If we had quiet spells it would probably be different but as it is, it's tip the last job and get to the next. Sadly cos we do get some nice timber from time to time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an old fairly girthy 70' oak to take down last week, narrow access around the side of a house but with plenty of room in the garden to work. 2 udder outfits quoted on a rigging/dismantle into the garden and hand balling all the brash/rings out thru the tight side access but i approached the landowner of a field to the rear of the property and asked if i cud drop the fence and have the tree over in one hit. Bingo, i got my log merchant mate and his Dad in with tractor and trailer, Matbro telehandler (to tug the tree over and lift long heavy limbs) and his L200 with Ifor trailer. I provided Ifor trailer and a wee greenmech to chip the brash up. Quotes ranged from 2-4 days to clear the tree but we did 1 long day and got off site after clean up and refencing by 7.30pm. My mate and his Dad paid me £200 for the cordwood and main stem (i know this is worth more but we do alot of mutual back scratching for each udder so i was happy with that) and they provided all the machinery and extra labour. Win win as i made a packet and cud afford to pay my groundies double his day rate. Where possible always get big kit in to take the strain out of it. Cheers, K.

i know it's a dream but if there is space then you get more money from a tree through milling than if you just sell it for firewood.

Most tree surgeons just cut trees, its what they know and the way to make money is to stick with what you know.

For tree surgeons you get more money cutting trees, using the kit and skills you have rather than a fringe involvement with what is essentially another industry.

Joe. Not there is space for a city type crane 40t for example and space to lay the timber. Crane the tree out with he brush on far easier. Process in the steer and find some one to pick the timber towards the end of the day. Load lorry with crane or Hiab and go home.

I did one a few years ago that way. I did a thread on it. Maybe get some ideas from the pics.

Joe just had a look but I didn't start a thread.

Do you use Facebook mate? Look me up there is a picture gallery of shots from the job.

Cheers Rich, that looked like a cracking job!

There'll be no space for a crane that size, and not much space on the drive. It's on a busy road so the street is out.

To be honest we'll enjoy rigging out the brash. It's in decline so it's not very busy up there.

Just to crane the timber and have someone pick it up will be nicer than cutting 4" discs and trying to shove them over the decorative wall and block paving that's been built around the tree :thumbup: