New Stove - Morso Squirrel or what?

aesmith

We loved the squirrel in our old house have another morso now an insert one also very good.

I need a very small stove for a 4.3x3.8 x2.2m well insulated room any recommendations. I rekon 4kw would be to hot even with the door open..

36 cubic meters of volume, good insulation, you will want 2.25 kw of heat for that room.

Wood and multifuel stoves start at 3kw nominal, if you want a lower output you put less fuel into it, so one log at a time instead of 3 maybe.

Assuming you are not in a smoke control area then look at:

Insets; Morso S81 (4kw), Aarrow I400S ( 4.9kw), Esse 301, (4.5kw ish)

Freestanding, Morso S11-42, Morso Squirrel 1416 and 1418, Morso Swift, Esse 500, Aarrow View 4 and Ecoburn 4, Villager Puffin and Heron.

In a smoke control area then of the above, S81, Esse 301, Freestanding S11-41, 1416 + 1418, Esse 500SE, Aarrow Ecoburn 5 Defra.

PM if you want any more info.

A

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only burn seasoned wood in it, the local stove shop said could be a build up of ash on top retaining excessive heat, the bricks were crumbling away when replacing the plate the ones in it just now are cracked in about 8 pieces but haven't fallen out yet. was thinking to replace it with something around 8kw and can take 14 15" log

Bricks are consumable items, usually 2 years and thats their lot especially if you a , spank the stove or b, are clumsy when reloading with logs..

Damage you have is very unlikely to be ash on top of the baffle plate. My lounge Morso Panther (8kw) only burns wodd except when very cold when I put a bit of anthracite in overnight. The top baffle plate is getting bent, when you think of the temp inside the stove its hardy surprising, been in about 4 years now and will probably do one more winter.

I suspect you are burning very dry softwood and leaving the air vent in the lower part of the door open. This causes over firing and will create the sort of damage you have. Or you may have knackered door ropes, they last no more than 2 winters given average usage, these will then allow lots of uncontrolled air to enter the stove.

Ref the proposed 8kw stove.

Do the heat calc for the room, work out volume, divide by 12 , 14 or 16 for bad, average or good insulation. This output will give you a 21 deg C temp rise if its 1 deg C outside as the sole provider of heat in that room. Allow extra heat for large glass area and a up to 60% more if a conservatory is attached. Dont forget that a permanently open air vent will need to be installed at 5.1kw or more, this is a legal requirement.

A

I just thought I'd mention one disadvantage with the Morso 1410, which also applies to the 1430 that we had in our last house. They're not dedicated wood burning stoves, but have a grate for burning solid fuel. Furthermore the primary lower air supply is delivered below the grate, and the stove doesn't burn properly with this supply fully closed or if the passage is blocked by build up of ash under the grate. You therefore have to empty the ash more often in comparison to stoves where the wood burns on a bed of ash.

Actually thinking about the grate, as second disadvantage is that the grate in the centre is actually higher than the surround, so if you use solid fuel the bits always want to roll away from the grate. I keep meaning to make some sort of fireclay inserts to resolve that.

Both these are just niggles, and my impulse is still to go with the devil I know.

No one mentioned Burley ? I have a Burley Hollywell rated nominally at 5KW but it sure as hell punts out more . Big swirling flame picture and rated at 89% efficiency . Worth a look .

I have just installed a new fire and I have always wanted a morso badger and that is what I fully intended getting after owning a couple of cheap wood burners which were ok for the money, but not great.

After visiting a few stove shops I couldnt even get to see a badger let alone buy one so I ended up taking some advice and getting the burley Holywell.

I am very happy with it, it really throws out some heat and as mentioned the large glass door and swirling flames is mesmerising. They are very good quality stoves, built to last.

Not sure of the rrp, but I paid 850 for mine and it is worth every penny.

Please don't reply saying the only cost 500 everywhere else! :laugh1:

A few of my customers have burley stoves, they are all long standing log customers who've replaced an older fire I reckon they all use at least a third less wood each winter! Really efficient😀

How do you get on with keeping the glass clean?, I have seen a couple working in a pub and the landlords said the glass was always grubby as the ones working in their bars were.

A

Bricks are consumable items, usually 2 years and thats their lot especially if you a , spank the stove or b, are clumsy when reloading with logs..

Damage you have is very unlikely to be ash on top of the baffle plate. My lounge Morso Panther (8kw) only burns wodd except when very cold when I put a bit of anthracite in overnight. The top baffle plate is getting bent, when you think of the temp inside the stove its hardy surprising, been in about 4 years now and will probably do one more winter.

I suspect you are burning very dry softwood and leaving the air vent in the lower part of the door open. This causes over firing and will create the sort of damage you have. Or you may have knackered door ropes, they last no more than 2 winters given average usage, these will then allow lots of uncontrolled air to enter the stove.

Ref the proposed 8kw stove.

Do the heat calc for the room, work out volume, divide by 12 , 14 or 16 for bad, average or good insulation. This output will give you a 21 deg C temp rise if its 1 deg C outside as the sole provider of heat in that room. Allow extra heat for large glass area and a up to 60% more if a conservatory is attached. Dont forget that a permanently open air vent will need to be installed at 5.1kw or more, this is a legal requirement.

A

Hi mate the baffle plate on my 4)5 years as new it is why does Morso burn out so fast thanks John

How do you get on with keeping the glass clean?, I have seen a couple working in a pub and the landlords said the glass was always grubby as the ones working in their bars were.

A

Burn dry seasoned wood . A quick wipe with blue tissue and some Cillit Bang and its crystal .