Tipper truck or chip trailer?

Orchard

You'll still have to take another trip to take the chipper to the job.

A decent tipping trailer costs as much as a 3.5 tonne truck.

This thread has got me thinking about a tipping trailer. Still be able to carry a tractor/grinder but can keep chipping when the transit is off tipping.

Spot on. Transit tipper, with tail lift, covers most options.:thumbup1:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do I, happy to get rid of it for nothing locally. Not worth the time/money to sell it.

Saturday mornings at our yard I or my collegue load people with their trailers and then make local deliveries.

Then during the week, I have a list of clients on a waiting list from LeBonCoin for chip which gets delivered straight from the job.

This is another reason why we run a tipper and a trailer.

On our current job, wood from 24 large cypress gets chipped into the trailer whilst the green goes into the truck.

Lovely golden clean wood chip, just what people want.

8m3 trailer of chip is 160euros (cash) plus delivery at 1 euro per km and it's loaded automatically by the chipper to boot!

Woodchip mulch is a big thing here and I am the sole supplier advertising regularly in our area.:thumbup:

It's working for me!:lol:

Ty

Over the years I,ve ran numerous vehicles and chippers . Expanded the business to a crew of three full time and myself . Due to stress and workload

I,m now running a skeleton shift of one l200 crewcab . Two chippers and a 10ft trailer . Plus my trusty ram stumper . I could not be happier . Chip into the l200 every day and tip off within 3 miles max of the work site . Bigger jobs my good lady will bring the chipper to work for me .I then proceed to chip into the l200 and the trailer and when Im done she will come and pick up the chipper .

Last year I did less than 5000 miles :thumbup: Suits me for now :thumbup1:

That's a good idea, I suggested it to the wife, the second word was off!! 😆😆

Saturday mornings at our yard I or my collegue load people with their trailers and then make local deliveries.

Then during the week, I have a list of clients on a waiting list from LeBonCoin for chip which gets delivered straight from the job.

This is another reason why we run a tipper and a trailer.

On our current job, wood from 24 large cypress gets chipped into the trailer whilst the green goes into the truck.

Lovely golden clean wood chip, just what people want.

8m3 trailer of chip is 160euros (cash) plus delivery at 1 euro per km and it's loaded automatically by the chipper to boot!

Woodchip mulch is a big thing here and I am the sole supplier advertising regularly in our area.:thumbup:

It's working for me!:lol:

Ty

I go shopping Saturday morning.

• 2 months later...

just been reading this thread regarding different vehicle setups. I don't do tree surgery every day, in fact I can go for weeks in summer without firing up a saw, and when I do its usually for small trees and topping conifers. I have a rwd 2.4 transit with old rickety shelving against the bulkhead and along the side. I usually keep my joinery gear for decking and fencing, masonry gear for walls and paving etc, and gardening gear like mowers, strimmers, hedge cutters, all in the van as well as all my hand tools and wet weather gear. I'd like to do more tree work in winter, but for now primarily operate as a landscaper with gardening in summer and a bit of tree work in winter. I don't have the work or the funds to go buying a tipping vehicle so want to utilise the transit, as in shooting the chipper straight into the back of the van. I was thinking of fabricating some removable shelving for the rear which can be taken out on tree work days, as I won't be needing my landscaping or gardening gear, and replacing the shelving against the bulkhead with enclosed lockable shelves, which will keep the saws safe and the wood chips out. I think the rear leaf springs could handle a full load of chippings, and the transit would probably hold as much as a mid sized mesh sided ifor. I could even fab a sort of tail gate to slot inside the rear doors a couple of feet high. I know it would be a pain to empty compared to a tipping trailer but think it would suffice until the level of tree work picked up to justify and afford a transit crew tipper. Has anyone any experience of chipping into the back of a van, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

just been reading this thread regarding different vehicle setups. I don't do tree surgery every day, in fact I can go for weeks in summer without firing up a saw, and when I do its usually for small trees and topping conifers. I have a rwd 2.4 transit with old rickety shelving against the bulkhead and along the side. I usually keep my joinery gear for decking and fencing, masonry gear for walls and paving etc, and gardening gear like mowers, strimmers, hedge cutters, all in the van as well as all my hand tools and wet weather gear. I'd like to do more tree work in winter, but for now primarily operate as a landscaper with gardening in summer and a bit of tree work in winter. I don't have the work or the funds to go buying a tipping vehicle so want to utilise the transit, as in shooting the chipper straight into the back of the van. I was thinking of fabricating some removable shelving for the rear which can be taken out on tree work days, as I won't be needing my landscaping or gardening gear, and replacing the shelving against the bulkhead with enclosed lockable shelves, which will keep the saws safe and the wood chips out. I think the rear leaf springs could handle a full load of chippings, and the transit would probably hold as much as a mid sized mesh sided ifor. I could even fab a sort of tail gate to slot inside the rear doors a couple of feet high. I know it would be a pain to empty compared to a tipping trailer but think it would suffice until the level of tree work picked up to justify and afford a transit crew tipper. Has anyone any experience of chipping into the back of a van, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A company local to me used a 4x4 transit van for chipping into . They made a plywood bulkhead to separate tools from the chip . They positioned the chipper so it fired the chips through one of the rear windows ...... obviously removed for this purpose . Looked odd but it held a fair bit of chip . Also they had a cool way of removing the chip ...simple but effective .