Brushcutter line

Kevm

By using this type of head are you not wasting a lot of cord- namely the length crossing the head every time you snap or wear out? Surely the bump heads allow a more constant control of cord length to optimum speed/load and only waste the central area once. Also as long as cords don't break at the eyelet there's no time lost in paying out more cord.

By using this type of head are you not wasting a lot of cord- namely the length crossing the head every time you snap or wear out? Surely the bump heads allow a more constant control of cord length to optimum speed/load and only waste the central area once. Also as long as cords don't break at the eyelet there's no time lost in paying out more cord.

Not in my experience.

The amount wasted is less than the constant 'chop off trim' the guard makes when you 'bump out' a new length of line on a normal head, plus the tendency for it to break unevenly making for more wastage. Plus, these heads are smaller and lighter so speeds seem higher than the bulky plastic UFO stuff you get as standard. So you work faster, paying for any perceived losses by a quicker work rate, and higher productivity.

Me, I just like using them.

Have only ever used bump heads but take off the blade from the guard. Try not pay out too much at once. I can tell from engine load sound what is good. Any overload I blow off against a post or stone ,if im not cutting hard woody growth, when it happens naturally. Just curious as to what mqkes other heads better before I buy

"Break at the eyelet" is exactly why my bump head went in the bin. The beauty of these heads is you can use stronger line. Bump heads are fine for light grass etc but when strimming brambles, saplings and wire you are constantly rethreading/ reloading. I used to average about 10 metres along my hedge with 3 mm round line before rethreading now 100m on two pieces of 4 mm diamond edge.

I would never go back to a bump head. Too much time wasted loading, and cord breaking.

"Break at the eyelet" is exactly why my bump head went in the bin. The beauty of these heads is you can use stronger line. Bump heads are fine for light grass etc but when strimming brambles, saplings and wire you are constantly rethreading/ reloading. I used to average about 10 metres along my hedge with 3 mm round line before rethreading now 100m on two pieces of 4 mm diamond edge.

I would never go back to a bump head. Too much time wasted loading, and cord breaking.

This is it. :thumbup1:

It's a 25cc strimmer! The OP shouldn't be blitzing thick bramble and whips with it!

I did make a reference to this in my first post stating that in my situation I had twice the capacity . Also on the Oregon Jet fit head there are no eyelets . just a smooth radiused track .

It's a 25cc strimmer! The OP shouldn't be blitzing thick bramble and whips with it!

Don't keep reminding me it's only 25cc - you make me feel inadequate :blushing:

No, I am not cutting any brambles etc. just long grass next to the fences and walls. I have ordered some of the 3mm diamond stuff and I'll try it in the bump head to see how it cuts.