Schliesing 200MX Wood Chipper

Johny Walker

My experience of using these machines is completley different. I have owned both of these machines and would say that the schliesing is far superior and will chip more twisty thorn type branches at ease compared to the timberwolf. If you were to be chipping straight poles then yes the timberwolf may be better on such an occasion.

I've also used a huge variation of machines, the TW230 is just incredible hands down one of the best 6" machines I've used but (sorry Timberwolf) the service from our dealer is poor in the nearly 2 years we have owned it it has gone in for 3 times to finally sort bottom feed roller, stress control has gone on alternator, engine mounts have broke, machine was reassembled wrong which caused the anvil to drop out and foul flywheel/blades and most recently the relays have gone on the fritz due to the cheap spades they have used we had to recrimp spades and replace relays.

All in all nearly a month of downtime and the cost for us to organise and pay our guys to take it to a dealership 40 minutes away when we have a dealer 5 minutes away who doesn't have an engineer...

Forst on the other hand, broke down once they delivered a machine to our yard and took ours away one month later they returned it all sorted and we lost maybe a day at most.

Performance is not the only king in business service and reliability are just as important.

The smaller 6"-8" Schelsing are so so performance wise certainly not head and shoulders above the competition, but so well built with many clever well thought out features which make them easy to run and maintain which is equally important

The bigger machines are a beast particularly the PTO designs.

• 3 years later...

I used a 35hp model a few years ago, at first I thought it was sluggish compared to my tw150 but after a hour I sort of understood the thinking behind its build.

It was very good, well made, built to last.

Price is a bit high of course, my Schliesing has had a couple of issues, but that’s second hand machines for you.

It’s difficult to absolutely recommend anything, I mean, I bought a Forst on recommendation.

• Like 1

@Mick DempseyWhat are the obvious differences in construction over the 750kg class?

Or the nuances which make a Schliesing worth the extra?

I did briefly own a GM200 which I thought a machine for life. 

I might still dip into the GM pool again if their Evo proves solid but my wife is keen for me to look outside the box for our next chipper.

Stuart

36 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

@Mick DempseyWhat are the obvious differences in construction over the 750kg class?

Or the nuances which make a Schliesing worth the extra?

I did briefly own a GM200 which I thought a machine for life. 

I might still dip into the GM pool again if their Evo proves solid but my wife is keen for me to look outside the box for our next chipper.

Stuart

Ty, what was wrong with your GM?

I have used plenty of Scheislings, never owned one but used a fair few in their range.  

Solid, Robust, Heavy but they tend to chip well and are really, really expensive.

1 minute ago, Rich Rule said:

Ty, what was wrong with your GM?

I have used plenty of Scheislings, never owned one but used a fair few in their range.  

Solid, Robust, Heavy but they tend to chip well and are really, really expensive.

I've owned 5, the best being the 200 but when my company folded it was auctioned with only 120 faultless hours on the clock.

Our 2018 re-start up budget stretched to a new 150 which now has 230 hours and several serious issues requiring a factory visit once lock down lifts and the ferrys run again.

We are considering moving it on once repaired, I've no confidence in it's longevity.

A GM dealer in France told me not to chip 6" material or problems will be expected.

In many ways it is perfect for us, lightweight, folding chute, productive on larger straighter wood, great chip, easy to maintain.

Downsides, hates smaller forked material, weak crushing ability, flywheel gets lumps of wood jammed within which sets of a terrible vibration which if the engine isn't stopped can literally shake the machine to bits.

The infeed has deformed and buckled upwards in front of the rollers.

Combined with the weak rollers which are often unable to pull smaller or forked material in, this lip then prevents it from exiting.

Above all, I'm tired of complaining.

I'm just looking for reliability and longevity.

It is not enough anymore that my issues get resolved, I no longer want to have issues that need resolving.

Stuart

• Like 2