Best type of log store?

TurtleWoods72

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I spend a. Lot of of time stacking logs for customers every winter, here would be my requests;

1. Build off the ground so I'm not kneeling on gravel/concrete etc, 30cm at least.

2. no sharp sloping roof that you hit your head on while stacking

3. Big enough for the load delivered.

4. Build next to delivery area so no buckets(if steps) wheel barrowing needed.

If you have the space build a basic pole barn, as big as you can. Just need some tree trunks/large poles, and 4x2s 3x2s and corrugated iron on the roof.

Single pitch roof, 3m high at the front, 2m high at the back, with a nice healthy overhang and a gutter.

For the sides either timber slats or mesh, herras fencing, etc

Ideal aswell if you can partition it into a few bays so you can separate dry wood from fresh

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Here you go mate, hope this points you in the right direction These stores hold about 1.75 m3

As Blue Peter would say, here's one I made earlier:laugh1:

No plans as such, just an idea.

6 pallets 4, 7ft 3x2s and 2 4ft 3x2 sheet of Sterling board, some 2x1 batten, roofing felt, fence stain

Have a good look at the pallets and make sure you can take the bottom off without destroying the top (these are the ones to use

Put one whole pallet as the base, then cut 2 of the tops of the pallets to the width of the base ( slats horizontal ) have to take off and move one of the tie slats

Screw those to the sides of the base pallet and screw a 7ft 3x2 on either side at the back to the side panels, cut the other 2, 4" to 6" shorter (to allow fall on roof) and screw those to the front on either side.

Screw another top of a pallet across the bottom at the back to the 2 back uprights

Then repeat for the next layer up on the sides and back.

Cut the 2 4ft 3x2 to fit between the uprights at the back and front, put some 2x1 front to back like rafters

Cut sterling board and fix for roof, cover with felt

That's what I did you will probably see an easier better method

Good luck