21 Acres of stumps!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dozer and/or excavator, massive windrow, job done. That's what they were doing in New Zealand (on a larger scale) when I was out there 8 years ago. You lose a bit of grazing but should save a lot of money processing the stumps. Doesn't sound as though the land is going to end up particularly valuable or productive, so I'd be looking for the lowest cost option personally.

Is that the cheaper option?

I guess I thought with the grinder it's a single pass operation, which on steep ground has to preferable? Also if some deeper roots are left it's going to hold everything together till the grass gets hold?

Any ideas on differences in price? Anyone brave enough to put a rough price on it?

A tracked mulcher would take the roots right out if needed, as they can lower the head right into the ground to rotovate everything in. They use them in all sorts of situations for re generation. I have used them lots of times and they are very capable of doing a job like that in one pass.

I would have thought the dozer, or a 360 with a dedicated ripper tooth and grab, put stumps into windrows or piles, leave a few years to dry, and then burn, thereby returning nutrients to the ground.

Keep it simple.

I would not like the thought of paying for a stump grinder, either tractor mounted, or tub type, nor indeed the fuel bill alone, for 21 acres of stumps.

In any case the dozer or digger operator is the key to the success of the operation.

The large track grinders are relatively cheap as they will cover a fair size area in a day, so depending on how thick the ground cover is around where the stumps are will be dependant on how quick they will cover the area. If the ground is just rows of stumps they will fly over it and it will cost you less. Best thing to do to get a rough price is to send photos of the areas showing the terrain and job in hand to get an accurate price for the job. But for the area you are looking to clear if the ground is just stumps with little undergrowth I would think a mulcher would have them done in three days.

You would be suprised how fast a big stump grinder would get threw them im sure there is some one on here with a carlton hurricane they are monster and would nail it in a few days then there gone ready for re seeding 👍

Got to agree. A large pto stump grinder on 200hp tractor is very quick.