Farmers take milk off shelves at large supermarkets Re price of milk

mendiplogs

Hi EGGS BUT THERES NOT MANY tree surgery firms in the UK would say 5 to £10 million Kit now is there with farming there's loads of investment look at the price of land and also the price of tractors combine is Ka investment look at the price of land and also the price of tractors Kit it's on HTV West NEWS AT 6pm thanks Jon

Ok then Jon, let's put it another way.

If the nearest log merchant to you was getting subsidies to sell logs would you be happy that he could undercut you?

Business is business, the cost of gear dont come into it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the nearest log merchant to you was getting subsidies to sell logs would you be happy that he could undercut you?

Hi eggs it on HTV NEWS NOW MATE AT 6pm re farmers lots of farmers around here do not get subsidies it's only massive landowners that are truly getting subsidies there is farmers around here with 200 Cows making no money thanks John

It seems strange to me that farmers think it a good idea to blockade one of Morrison's distribution centres. If I was a boss at Morrison's I wouldn't take kindly to being blackmailed...

Anyway, I'm off to padlock myself to my bosses car so he will give me a pay rise.

Hi mate Morrisons in talks next week with suppliers so that's good thanks John

The only farmers i feel sorry for are the tennant farmers who after paying their rent are making very little, with land prices at say 9k acre i cant feel any sorrow in my bones for a farmer who probably inherited the farm from his father, so a farm of 500 acres is worth 4.5 mill, my heart bleeds, plus the sale of the machinery, livestock, i cant see them stacking shelves at Tesco any time soon.

just think how much they had in subsidys since the end of the sec ond world war, which is money for improving their business and their property, how many of us here receive money for staying at home to improve our property?

we only hear the bad news when they aren't doing so well as they would like to, how come i never see a old forty year old tractor in the fields, the vast majority here on Arbtalk who post their pictures of their forty year old tractors are in the make do and mend category,

but saying this i wouldn't want to see the countryside become a total playground for the fat bloke from the City to have exercise to prevent him from having a heart attack either!

Egg, I get it:thumbup1: If the farmers that Jon is referring to receive no government support at all and are loosing money on goods sold on the open market these dairy farmers need to find another trade. I am reasonably certain that unless these smaller dairy farmers are independently wealthy which they may be, producing any goods or services for less than the market will bare can only support it's self for so long, with out government support. I find it very distressing when my government acts just as irresponsible by paying farmers of all sorts to produce certain crops in certain amounts at certain times of the year. Case in point would be Corn farmers in Iowa growing a food crop to produce ethanol :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

With government support smaller and larger companies can and do kick the can down the road as long as the funding or tax credits are available.

Sooner or later the government cow runs out of milk or money which one comes first remains to be seen.

easy-lift guy

Egg, I get it:thumbup1: If the farmers that Jon is referring to receive no government support at all and are loosing money on goods sold on the open market these dairy farmers need to find another trade. I am reasonably certain that unless these smaller dairy farmers are independently wealthy which they may be, producing any goods or services for less than the market will bare can only support it's self for so long, with out government support. I find it very distressing when my government acts just as irresponsible by paying farmers of all sorts to produce certain crops in certain amounts at certain times of the year. Case in point would be Corn farmers in Iowa growing a food crop to produce ethanol :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

With government support smaller and larger companies can and do kick the can down the road as long as the funding or tax credits are available.

Sooner or later the government cow runs out of milk or money which one comes first remains to be seen.

easy-lift guy

Hi TED in the end I think in Somerset you will only see very large farmers like 2000 cows plus that's a sad day when this happens but I think it's going to thanks John

That's about right Mr Egg! Anyone can be a busy fool but it doesn't jam your toast!

There are more than enough threads on here about the "race to the bottom" and price cutting to secure the job. All ultimately self defeating.

If your head hurts when you bang it against the wall, stop banging your head against the wall..... It's not magic, the pain will just stop.

Enough of this! I'm on the cider in Falmouth! 🍻

Let's have a look at this!

Mr Johnson, Mr Plogs and Mr ELG have hit the nail on the head (although Plogs is confused:biggrin:)

If you are producing a product that ain't financialy viable why carry on?

Would you go out cutting trees if the sums didn't add up?

Subsides were used to get us through the hard times.... If ya can't compete ya go out of business. Simples.

Does anyone but you support your business?

Difference is that you don't eat trees people forget that if we don't produce our own food it would all have to be imported which would mean essentially that the importers could name their price, I don't agree with subsidies either andhave never claimed them, what I want is a fair price for my produce which is what the dairy farmers want too.

I remember back in the 1970's when there were lots of small dairy farmers in somerset with 20-40 cows . In the 80's I got a job on a big farm with 100 cows now 200 is small and 500 - 1000 is the norm with many big units being "zero graze" ( cows house 24/7 ).I started farming myself in the late 80's as a tenant but gave up four years ago because tenants on small family farms can not compete with big business . DEFRA advised farmers to diversify into other businesses to subsidise the main farm business but I decided that it would be pointless propping up the farm with arb money , so killed the farm of and now earn a better living from arb with out the 24 / 7 commitment of a farm . Don't be fooled into thinking that supermarkets screw farmers over prices AND THEY DO , to help the housewife they do it to make them money , and they've bankrupted many a farmer who has dared to complain .

I remember back in the 1970's when there were lots of small dairy farmers in somerset with 20-40 cows . In the 80's I got a job on a big farm with 100 cows now 200 is small and 500 - 1000 is the norm with many big units being "zero graze" ( cows house 24/7 ).I started farming myself in the late 80's as a tenant but gave up four years ago because tenants on small family farms can not compete with big business . DEFRA advised farmers to diversify into other businesses to subsidise the main farm business but I decided that it would be pointless propping up the farm with arb money , so killed the farm of and now earn a better living from arb with out the 24 / 7 commitment of a farm . Don't be fooled into thinking that supermarkets screw farmers over prices AND THEY DO , to help the housewife they do it to make them money , and they've bankrupted many a farmer who has dared to complain .

Hi MATE that's it mate 1000)2000 cows that's the way it going thanks Jon