Arborcom Bluetooth Headset – Stein Helmet - Pics.

John Hancock

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same niggle with the ear-muff fitting on my helmet (vertex),they did'nt fit tight on my head at all and seemed very flimsy,so i butchered a set of peltor ear-muffs,fed them through the inside straps and they're well snug now,the only snag is there's no snap open now,i'll just have to slide them half off one ear to hear other people talk ! .

I was worried about the bluetooth side of things,(having crap handsfree stuff in the past),losing connection etc, i used them for 6 hours and no probs at all.

Cheers Justin .:thumbup1:

• 1 year later...

Not any chat about these on here for a year.

My collegue and I are looking to get a pair of these for our Stein helmets, does anyone know if they have been improved since last year. Esp. does the cable to the other ear go over or under the helmet or is this a mod you need to do yourselves ?

Had a demo at the FR Jones show the other month as was well impressed. One of the trainees on the CS38 training course at Kingswood this week reckons they only work in line of sight. Has anyone experience of them working from back of a property to front with chipper in full flow ? As there are only two of us it would be handy not to have to wait 25 minutes for the assigned groundee for the day to return to retrieve a dropped silky for instance.

Cheers

Peter

Not any chat about these on here for a year.

My collegue and I are looking to get a pair of these for our Stein helmets, does anyone know if they have been improved since last year. Esp. does the cable to the other ear go over or under the helmet or is this a mod you need to do yourselves ?

Had a demo at the FR Jones show the other month as was well impressed. One of the trainees on the CS38 training course at Kingswood this week reckons they only work in line of sight. Has anyone experience of them working from back of a property to front with chipper in full flow ? As there are only two of us it would be handy not to have to wait 25 minutes for the assigned groundee for the day to return to retrieve a dropped silky for instance.

Cheers

Peter

i had a set for ayear or so

absolitely brilliant changed a lonley job back into a fun job , i realy miss them

just got a bit pissed off with taking them to be repaired for the 5th time eventualy asked the makers (talking heads) to swap over to 2ways and ptt

who were fine about the swap

the best thing you can do is get yourself some spare bash hats and defenders for when you dont need them

i used to love taking the piss when the groundy was talking to the customers.

we had some fun with are arbcomms worth every penny

ps if you want to set up a 3rd headset it cost big bucks ££££££

they are great, work from behind houses, in vehicles etc. We often wear then driving to jobs in 2 vehicles, its a laugh and when we pull up we can comunicate for where to park etc. I had an old set and they lasted nearly 8 years, i have still to send them down for a refurb. The wire is a matter of undoing a couple of clips in your hat, job done, no biggy.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on the subject? Are they the mutts nutts? Or are there a better option that I'm not aware of? How do they compare to Peltors?

The issue was brought up on a H&S meeting today as we had a near miss (hit...) accident yesterday as I was lumping down a tree on a closed off pedestrian walkway... a lady climbed a snowpile to get access to our site and was wondering why we had closed down the road... and why we didnt clear the road from brash so she could pass...:banghead::jumping38::angryfire:

BACAUSE ITS DANGEROUS BEEING HERE!!!! HENCE THE GATES, CONES SIGNS AND POSTERS TELLING YOU WHY ITS CLOSED!!!!:stupid:

So the question was asked if there was a better way of comunicating than screaming on top of our voices (as my groundie had to do to get my attention, as I had my eyes on the two groundies managing traffic while I dropped logs onto the side of the street....)

I said I would look into this... so whats the deal? Are they good for climbing, any improvements? Have previous issues been solved?

Its heartening to hear your going through the investigate process after a near-miss, many people would brush it to one side, carry on and forget it - so WELL Done!

As you know I bought mine a fair few years ago now, I bought them for highway work when we were doing a lot of street pollards with the MEWP, for this work they were INVALUABLE!

Things have moved on with the tree team since then. I have two young very capable climbers who prefer to climb if given the option, however the helmets still have their place in tree work. It is just So nice to have that direct line of communication between climber/ground person, no shouting, just a calm, precise two-way conversation on the work-site.

Invaluable bit of kit in my opinion. :001_smile:

Its heartening to hear your going through the investigate process after a near-miss, many people would brush it to one side, carry on and forget it - so WELL Done!

As you know I bought mine a fair few years ago now, I bought them for highway work when we were doing a lot of street pollards with the MEWP, for this work they were INVALUABLE!

Things have moved on with the tree team since then. I have two young very capable climbers who prefer to climb if given the option, however the helmets still have their place in tree work. It is just So nice to have that direct line of communication between climber/ground person, no shouting, just a calm, precise two-way conversation on the work-site.

Invaluable bit of kit in my opinion.

Cheers for the feedback. The ivestigation isnt as hard as it may have been given impression of..:blushing: The lady got away with a fright and was told that we now would have to perform a risk evaluation and do a lot of paperwork due to her stupidity....:sneaky2::blushing::001_rolleyes:

We have a system of reporting incidents, accidents and riskobservations these are all logged in a computersystem and have to go through the "H&S Commity" So basically todays meeting was just an interview and to fill out some forms where a part is to try to find solutions how to avoid similar situation in future. I think its a good way of improving safety and highlight safety issues or bad practise.

My collegue brought up the idea of improving communication to adress potential risks (kids, retards, dogs, cats etc that sort of have legit reason to ignore gates...)

So any issues with the headsets that you see as a problem? Crisp sound at all times? How far do they work? How are they for climbing?