Would fitting a tracker on your chipper make insurance cheaper?

sasha.p

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate a bit daft or silly telling everyone you're going to fit a tracker on your chipper on the net do you not think thanks John

Yeah fair comment I am still in the saving up for one bracket atm so they can try and take one cause there wont be one for some time yet lol but thanks for pointing that out .

I am in the planning stage looking at options and trying to work out if I can save enough up for one and to ensure it would be secure and what annual costs would be on top ,hence the question about would it reduce insurance if one was fitted I was going to find out how much it would add on to my policy and see what options I would have im in no position to rush out and buy one wish I was , I got done over before and refuse to buy something for some thieving git to come along and just take away from me like that when I have grafted hard to save that's why I am looking at all options and all options of making one as secure as possible if I cant tick all those boxes then I wont even contemplate getting one .

Since I was targeted last time I have managed out the back of my truck and trailer its not easy but it works fine for me so investing in one again is a big deal for me, a tracker doesn't sound promising if they are easily removed which again tilts my decision in thinking should I even bother and carry on as I am and maybe just continue saving for a new truck instead and buy a small cs100 or something similar instead ,you guys seem to manage ok with the little chippers plus they have the advantage of fitting through narrow gaps.

I see what you mean about the insurance if they can find a reason not to pay out I think most insurances are like that :thumbdown:but thank you for the advise anyway its always better to ask I don't really know bugger all about trackers but I know about house insurance and know certain insurance companies policies are affected by security measures so I wondered if it would be the same with a chipper .

Thanks everyone for the advise :001_smile:

Most trackers are easy to detect, £10 of chinese electronics off ebay sorts this...

Most thieves know this...

So:

I use a tracker that only geolocates and transmits upon request. (I send it a command, it replies with a location) This means it's not so easy to detect unless the thief is detecting at that very moment.

The tracker is permanently fitted in a resin-filled container. Cast in so 100% waterproof.

The container is in a steel case filled with sand, the steel case is bolted into a chassis u-beam, a plate is then welded over preventing access to the (security hedaded) bolts.

It is hardwired to a charger, but with a battery life of about three weeks standby (supposedly about 100 position transmission packets) Cutting the wires leading to it means not a lot therefore.

There is a usb-port accessible but not visible, it is around a corner behind the steel plate. (i have a cble taped to a steel rod bent to a specific shape, it finds the usb port ok) This is used to change settings and firmware etc.

The above, tooke me about a day, and after asking the insurance they said they could not add it as it was a "custom build" not a velcro-on system. It means I get no discount but I reckon I've built a fairly robust system. As far as I can see, the only way to disarm it is by cutting it out off the chassis which would render the chassis beyond use.

And then I found out about gps jammers...

We had a chipper nicked of the back of the van a couple of years ago - it was discovered stolen within half an hour. Had it been fitted with a tracker I'm certain that we could have got it back straight away - unfortunately it wasn't so we were unable to retrieve it.

I have reported a chipper stolen with a tracker within 20mins ... Never seen again! Although the site we can presume it went too the police would not go in too any way to recover any thing..

Yeah fair comment I am still in the saving up for one bracket atm so they can try and take one cause there wont be one for some time yet lol but thanks for pointing that out .

I am in the planning stage looking at options and trying to work out if I can save enough up for one and to ensure it would be secure and what annual costs would be on top ,hence the question about would it reduce insurance if one was fitted I was going to find out how much it would add on to my policy and see what options I would have im in no position to rush out and buy one wish I was , I got done over before and refuse to buy something for some thieving git to come along and just take away from me like that when I have grafted hard to save that's why I am looking at all options and all options of making one as secure as possible if I cant tick all those boxes then I wont even contemplate getting one .

Since I was targeted last time I have managed out the back of my truck and trailer its not easy but it works fine for me so investing in one again is a big deal for me, a tracker doesn't sound promising if they are easily removed which again tilts my decision in thinking should I even bother and carry on as I am and maybe just continue saving for a new truck instead and buy a small cs100 or something similar instead ,you guys seem to manage ok with the little chippers plus they have the advantage of fitting through narrow gaps.

I see what you mean about the insurance if they can find a reason not to pay out I think most insurances are like that :thumbdown:but thank you for the advise anyway its always better to ask I don't really know bugger all about trackers but I know about house insurance and know certain insurance companies policies are affected by security measures so I wondered if it would be the same with a chipper .

Thanks everyone for the advise :001_smile:

Hi mate it better to keep things like this my be to your self about fitting trackers as the people who Nick them will only a heads up on your KIT and what good is fitting it in 1st place thanks Jon

I don't know if it would reduce a premium but if the insurers take the same attitude to trackers as they do to burglar alarms I certainly would not let an insurer know the equipment was tracked.

Spot on, I wouldn't admit to having a tracker or accept a reduction in premiums, it's another bit of ammo for them to use to wriggle out of paying!