climbing clothing

kevwrenn

I've just started using the nike pro gear, well impressed , keeps you dry warm and slides under other layers. Can't stand layers that bind / bunch up. After 20 years working various outdoor jobs I've got 2 pet hates with gear, over complicated designs (zips & coloured patches all over the spot!) and something that doesn't do what it's sold to do!.:cussing:

I'm climbing in nike pro base layer, old helly jumper (the one with the thumb holes) and a husky forest light on top. What and when varies with the weather.

For those that like the thermal base layers try the patagonia ones, have some that are 5-10 years old, don't stink like helly's do and are still soft and warm. Worth the extra money!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another thing i wear is one of those think skull caps.....they go under your hardhat perfectly...and make a whole lot of difference to your warmth

You can loose nearly 8/10th of your body heat through your head especially if you have a melon head!:eviltongue:

If you like to wear a fleece there is a waterproof and wind proof version out there. I use one for shooting and I have never got wet!:smoker: If you are unfortunate enough to tear it you just use fabric glue to repair it!

The wb site has been updated. Give Philip a call. http://nomaduk.net/'Stealth'%20fleeces.htm

Not the cheapest coats out there though!

Found the only army surplus store in manchester city centre and it has some good tackle in it.

http://www.militarykit.com/

When I was there I was really tempted to get one of the montane extreme smocks. especially as the weather is still rubbish. I also like the look of the buffalo belay jacket on the website but don't remember seeing it in the shop it says its a lightweight short alternative to the mountain jacket. I think the snugpaks may be too hot and bulky. Anyone got any of this tackle? I reckon a lightweight pertex and pile jacket would be comfortable.

Proclimber's waterproof top is wonderful. I wear it pretty much every day. iI has zip-up sides, like, all the way from the arm to the waist, which really cools you down if you get too hot, plus it keeps you totally bone dry as it zips up over your chin. I was amazed the first time I worked in soaking weather with it on.

Apart from that, I don't need a skullcap because I have what they call 'hair'.

• 1 year later...

Fristads Fur Fibre Jacket

Just found this fleece online after ages of searching and I was doubting if it was still in production. I bought one at an apf years ago and it is incredibly warm and light making it an excellent mid layer. Going to buy another one as the sleeve got burned on a candle when I wore it camping in australia. Pretty cheap aswell

ive got afew stretchair bits wiv mixed results, the fleece is very hot but too nice to get mucky workin. the tee is great but the same as the stihl, and the troosers are ridiculously huge but its company policy to wear them, i certainly wouldnt pay 200 squids 4 them!! the boot bag is the best ive found! i do prefer stihl kit tho (any sales reps reading...) the best waterproof iv ever had was when i worked@fountains, shame i had to give it back when i left. the nearest iv found to it is the windsor, but it has the plastic liner which makes it hotter to wear, still great tho.

Fristads Fur Fibre Jacket

Just found this fleece online after ages of searching and I was doubting if it was still in production. I bought one at an apf years ago and it is incredibly warm and light making it an excellent mid layer. Going to buy another one as the sleeve got burned on a candle when I wore it camping in australia. Pretty cheap aswell

Looks very simular to the derbyshire fleece .....used to have some thing very simular, was one of the best items of clothing i have had for work until it got full of 020 exhaust burns and rips joining them ! but sudenly you could not buy any thing like it!