Kiln dried Firewood - The future ?

arboriculturist

had to laugh I get comments about ripping people off charging £120 for a cube bag and your charging £190 (based on single price) for equivalent in the barrow bags. hope you do well with them. we charge £38 per bag hardwood min 2 bags for delivery and we refuse to do more than 2 steps.

So why are you comparing my single bag price to your cube bag? My bags are notionally 0.25 m3 and stretch to hold about .35. So my 4 bag price is about 1.2m and costs £150! Not much in it is there?

If you are going to compare your prices with mine, at least be honest enough to compare like with like!

I deliver one bag at a time if necessary and I don't refuse steps or alleyways, I might refuse a lot of steps but 2 doesnt seem unreasonable. Ihave a reputation for being friendly and helpful, which gets me referrals and more sales, so I stay local all the time. Not Rocket science.

Edited by Chalgravesteve

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why are you comparing my single bag price to your cube bag? My bags are notionally 0.25 m3 and stretch to hold about .35. So my 4 bag price is about 1.2m and costs £150! Not much in it is there?

If you are going to compare your prices with mine, at least be honest enough to compare like with like!

I deliver one bag at a time if necessary and I don't refuse steps or alleyways, I might refuse a lot of steps but 2 doesnt seem unreasonable. Ihave a reputation for being friendly and helpful, which gets me referrals and more sales, so I stay local all the time. Not Rocket science.

I was comparing your most expensive price is all, unless 4 of your bags at single price don't make a cube and don't make £190. it's irrelevant if it's 1 drop or 4 when the comparison was a cube at your most expensive rate, I would say not rocket science to understand my point, I also compared your .25 bag to my .25 bag price pretty sure that's a like for like comparison, I have also filled them from a 90x90 bulk bag and you can get around 3 1/2 barrow bags so my cube bag has significantly more if you want to compare stretch, I'm also appear to be using the same barrow bags and I have 0.35m3 solid side bags from dixons and no way one of those gets close to filling a .35 bag even reducing the level for the extra stretch in that bag.

My business plan isn't reliant on the RHI, I've said it before I would have fitted kilns if the RHI was about or not. For me it has massively expanded the business as I can now supply my demand, which is growing rapidly off the back of being able to sell kiln dried firewood. I couldn't keep up with my seasoned customers before I had kilns, just could never get ahead of myself but now I am.

We installed a biomass boiler before RHI as it was just over a 3 year payback over oil. Ash would have done the same with his kiln. Its the EU and UK politicians that have got it wrong.

I can understand using one if your yard isn't big enough to hold stock, the problem I have is the people saying it's superior to air dried logs of the same mc or as I mentioned before those who say air seasoned to 30% whilst kiln dried is sub 20% and totally misleading the public.

Compared to what MC most sellers sell air dried at then a properly kilned product is undoubtedly superior.

There are sellers with air dried at around 10% at present, I am one, but this takes a long time to get there. I currently have imported kilned at well below that, over the winter though this will draw moisture and get somewhat damper. The other benefit of kilning is that it kills boring insects, with treated timber in houses these days it should not be a problem but woodworm in house timbers does not do them any good.

A