Whats a load?

Tom D

Volume illustration. When you buy Jenga the game with blocks it comes neatly stacked in box. Tip box out then lose fill.

Can you get them all in? No. The same principle happens every time you spilt a log and don't stack it as it was. This far out ways the gaps between the rounds. I recently sold a 1.2 m of Unchopped rings for the customer to chop, he got a bargain!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read Tom and well thought through but I don't want to see regulation. Regulation will inevitably cost somewhere down the line. This will inevitably be worse for the small legitimate guy. Buying logs is not like buying petrol as you used in an analogy. You can see your load of logs and test it if you choose. Trying to do that on a forecourt is basically impossible. As for logs size Vs weight splitting makes more air gaps so lighter but shorter logs split to the same degree do seem to fill in a few gaps so a bit heavier. Short logs spit small are similar in weight as longer larger diameter logs IMO. Might do a test if I can be ar$$ed as have often pondered this one.

Cheers Steve, its only because I've spent the last 5 weeks convalescing that I have been sat in front of the computer all day. I'll try and do a few more, although we're going to Italy for 2 weeks on tuesday so hopefully trees and logs will be at the back of my mind..

Cheers Steve, its only because I've spent the last 5 weeks convalescing that I have been sat in front of the computer all day. I'll try and do a few more, although we're going to Italy for 2 weeks on tuesday so hopefully trees and logs will be at the back of my mind..

If your driving in Italy the first thing on your mind will be self preservation. We did it last September. I rather be 60ft up a tree without a harness or support working over 3 properties all having greenhouses and sheds under it!

Interesting blog Tom.

However there are problems with selling by volume, a cube of Willow contains much less energy than a cube of Beech for example, Wood thats begun to decay or came from a decaying tree losses calorific value, the variables are endless. So buying by volume in no way makes for a level playing field. I would imagine this is one of the reasons the authorities have not got involved.

Any legislation would need to be so complex, moisture content, species, has decay begun,etc, etc.

Would is very different to coal, gas, etc, IMO.

Thats true Dave, but most load tend to be mixed anyway. Thing is, I'm not talking about babysitting the log buyer through the process, there has to be a level of individual responsibility, if you buy a load of rotten willow, then tough luck, you won't buy from that guy next time. All I am suggesting is that the consumer should know how much per cube he is paying, thats it. Maybe it would be nice to have a maximum moisture content, but that could be problematic. But at the very least you need to know how much you are getting, we simply wouldn't stand for this with any other commodity.

you have added complexity when you bring in different bags my 0.73m bag is a different cubic rate to full cube bag and same again for barrows and the nets and then same again for the softwoods so quoting someone your cube price could be 6 or 8 prices but I agree on standardising volume as the measure, the amount of orders we get for a ton or a load have certainly decreased over the last couple of years.

Thats true Dave, but most load tend to be mixed anyway. Thing is, I'm not talking about babysitting the log buyer through the process, there has to be a level of individual responsibility, if you buy a load of rotten willow, then tough luck, you won't buy from that guy next time. All I am suggesting is that the consumer should know how much per cube he is paying, thats it. Maybe it would be nice to have a maximum moisture content, but that could be problematic. But at the very least you need to know how much you are getting, we simply wouldn't stand for this with any other commodity.

Have you ever bought a bag of chips from a fish and chip shop?

No given weight, volume, mass, chip count, etc.