Whats a load?

Tom D

Well written Tom , the log trade does need some sort of common ground in volume terms how many log sellers know what mete rage there truck or trailer actually holds pricing seems to be a little bit like how longs a bit of string

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point, but as a BSL registered supplier your fears regarding sustainability and proof thereof are probably unfounded. The BSL accreditation recognises arb waste as sustainable and as such it can be sold as an accredited product, as far as taxes go I can't see them raising the vat rate above 5% anytime soon, but you never know... other taxes are the same as for any other business.

I don't get on my high horse very often but to be honest, the situation re firewood is poor, ask any barman how seriously the weights and measures act is treated, a pub or club can be hammered for under pouring spirits or beer, same thing at the petrol pumps, bags of coal etc. but with logs its a complete free for all..

If you add up all the urban hedges and trees that get reduced and removed every year it would be one hell of a big block of forestry so it's good that the BSL accreditation recognises arb arising's as sustainable because there are tonnes harvested every year :thumbup::thumbup:

Firewood should be sold in cube bags or half cube bags or nets then it would be a level playing field.

I am not sure volume works for logs, if the said cubic meter bags were full of smaller logs there would be considerably more in there weight wise than if they were bigger logs.Customer satisfaction is probably more important here , all the time they feel like they are getting a good deal you retain their loyalty.

This is bit like the farmers selling hay, physically same size bales can vary in weight by a huge margin as can the quality.

Bob

It HAS to be sold in volume. How many people have access to a weighbridge, not many thats for sure.

2 years ago, Norfolk trading standards rang us up for an informal discussion regarding the way firewood is sold and I told them it can only be sold on volume due to the above reasons.

They asked me how that would stop people from selling wet wood and I told them it wouldn't, but customers receiving wet wood would stop buying it and that would stop them from selling it.

An awful lot of firewood dealers only do small volumes (<30cube) and if they had to jump through BSL hoops just for that, they would give up .

Increased costs and bureaucracy will hinder, not help the industry.

Glad we are getting out when we are.

I am not sure volume works for logs, if the said cubic meter bags were full of smaller logs there would be considerably more in there weight wise than if they were bigger logs.Customer satisfaction is probably more important here , all the time they feel like they are getting a good deal you retain their loyalty.

This is bit like the farmers selling hay, physically same size bales can vary in weight by a huge margin as can the quality.

Bob

Actually its the exact opposite, the more you split wood the more space it takes up, a cube of big logs will weight a lot more than a cube of kindling.

Where are the increased costs and bureaucracy? All I'm suggesting is that we all advertise our logs with a per m3 price.

So for example a 1'5 cube bag costing £90 is £60 per cube, or a 0.6 cube builders bag at £50 is £83 per cube....

Actually its the exact opposite, the more you split wood the more space it takes up, a cube of big logs will weight a lot more than a cube of kindling.

I'm sorry tom but I strongly disagree the older generation know that they get more the smaller the log so order 6 inch when I get an order for 18 inch logs I rub my hands together. :confused1:

The facts don't lie!

Take a solid cube of wood and split it in 2, it takes up a bit more room, split it again, yet more room.. Fill a cube box with big logs and weigh it, then do the same with small ones. You'll see!

The big ones take a lot less time to make of course..