lucky escape

testcricket01

If you got this guy in to help you to do a job that your dad arranged then his insurance is not going to be valid unless he quoted for it etc. You got him in and paid him day rate and did a job without insurance.

Thats how I see it. Just cos someoen on site has insurance, it doesn't mean that will cover other poeples mistakes.

ill have to look into getting some my self then thing is basically all of my work part frm like 2/3 jobs a year maybe is going work for companys on day rates so dunno hw worth it is getting insurance its complicated grey area that i dont really understand who needs what but thanks for pointing it out

Edited by testcricket01

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lad made a call on the job, it went wrong, as the simplest job can do to anyone. Lets not put others off from posting their mistakes by being too harsh. There is something for all to learn here, and some may have been in a similar situation, either because a boss has put too much pressure on inexperienced shoulders, or corners are cut for another reason.

Thanks to the internet, we now have access to a wealth of knowledge and understanding that until recently could only be passed down from the old guys, now its here for us all on Arbtalk, so we can all share our experiences, good and bad.

PS I suspect the old guys would have been far sharper in their criticism too:wink:

Its a learning thing mate. You were lucky. You might not have been. NEVER EVER let anyone rush you or do pressure you into anything you don`t feel totally confident with EVER. Everyone on here has probably had close calls, i know i have and have learnt from them. There are times to play with cuts and see what you can get away with, powercables and road don`t come into that equation. Still, no damage done.

I think all due respect to you for posting. You have learned from this experience from two ways- the events of today, and the answers/ constructive criticism you have rceived here.:thumbup1:

On the insurance front, if you need/ want to rely on someone elses insurance, get them to put their name on top of the jobsheet, as if its their job and you should be covered........Basically handing the job over. Better that than work that close to a road uninsured.

I did wonder why if you had all that rigging etc set up why you didnt dismantle it in the first place?:confused1:

I think all due respect to you for posting. You have learned from this experience from two ways- the events of today, and the answers/ constructive criticism you have rceived here.:thumbup1:

On the insurance front, if you need/ want to rely on someone elses insurance, get them to put their name on top of the jobsheet, as if its their job and you should be covered........Basically handing the job over. Better that than work that close to a road uninsured.

I did wonder why if you had all that rigging etc set up why you didnt dismantle it in the first place?:confused1:

cuz as ive mentioned we was both 100% sure it was gunna go that way and we both still say it would have gone if the wind hadnt taken hold cuz it started to go direction we wanted i stoped cutting then wind took it towards the road

cuz as ive mentioned we was both 100% sure it was gunna go that way and we both still say it would have gone if the wind hadnt taken hold cuz it started to go direction we wanted i stoped cutting then wind took it towards the road

I feel like i'm being really harsh, and i don't want to come across that way.

You say your 100% sure is was gunna go but the wind took it, to me its less than a 100% certainty when there is wind involved even trying to time the fell in between gusts in that scenario is dodgy and not worth the risk when a good alternative is there.

There is no getting away from it you made a big boo boo.

Thanks for sharing, and take away a positive lesson from this.

lets not get caught up in giving everyone a big cuddle when they make a boo boo, this could have been a fatallity, POWERLINES,MAIN RD!!. The guy made a mistake, it wasnt bad luck it was trying something he couldnt do, simples. it had nothing to do with what the price was, or pressure. he will learn from this, he has had a lucky escape as have most of us over the years.

Testcricket - Just to let you know, Ash can be a bit snappy mate.

Take on board what's being said here cause it sounds like it might help for the future.

As for insurance being a grey area? Come off it... you know as well as anyone that you're supposed to have public liability. You also need employers liability if you had a lad in to help. If you're not sure about what insurance you need then you shouldn't be doing the job, further to that just call a broker and ask.

Looking at the pictures yo posted up, looks like your cuts on the gob didnt meet properly either which will not have helped matters, and you're hinge isnt straight which will have biased the direction of pull.

he will learn from this, he has had a lucky escape as have most of us over the years.

i think this sums it up nicely stevie, we've all been there and done that at some point in our careers i'm sure, i know i have:blushing:

As whats been said really, ya hinge is crap and why try to"top it out" next to a road and a leccy cable? just dismantle. you didnt take into account the type of wood you were working on also, that alone can be fatal!

But you biggest mistake of the day was, taking the job on, YOU DIDNT HAVE TO DO IT COS YOUR DAD SAID!, your the one up there not him. I would walk away if the money and man power were not right. You could of ended up in prison for killing someone just because your dad priced it wrong! also get some insurance.

Brave for posting and i hope all goes well in the future.