SRT Oak Reduction on the BDB

Adam Bourne

Just about to check the video Adam.

Jay, I have a Bulldog bone if you want to have have a blast on it... where you living these days?

Let me know next time you are rec climbing and I will pop down If I am free.

Cheers mate I'll give you a shout if your not globe trotting! Be good to sort out a South East reccy if there's enough interest. I'm still in Meopham about 15mins from the mushroom farm.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks joe,

The rope was Yale kernmaster. As for the redirects it all depends on what angle your coming from and what angle of leverage or pressure will be placed on the limb your redirecting off. You can support or even static brace limbs by pretensioning then static redirects/anchors to allow almost no separation of the supporting redirect, some cases don't require being static so just a basic clip in will do. The cow hitch showed an example of a pretension static redirect, also I prefer it as it's easier to get the required length. Alpine butterfly can be a little bit of guess work.

Cheers, I'd figured it must be something to do with forces on the redirects, but I'm not the smartest.

What bollard did you get with the bone? I ask because I'm almost due a new rope at work and I'd like something that can be used both ddrt and SRT, with a view to getting the BDB at some point.

I reduced an oak of a similar size a while ago and I don't mind admitting it took well over one day even with another climber in the tree. Fair enough there were quite a few targets but still, that's good going for a day mate!

Next you'll be saying you finished early!

Cheers mate I'll give you a shout if your not globe trotting! Be good to sort out a South East reccy if there's enough interest. I'm still in Meopham about 15mins from the mushroom farm.

Give us a shout Jay.

We did have a reeky climb about a month ago in Maidstone. Nice climb, a mess about then a pub meal.

Nice vid Adam and good work on the reduction. It was quite long though. I must admit I skipped through it as the inter webs connection here is pretty gash sometimes!

Give us a shout Jay.

We did have a reeky climb about a month ago in Maidstone. Nice climb, a mess about then a pub meal.

Nice vid Adam and good work on the reduction. It was quite long though. I must admit I skipped through it as the inter webs connection here is pretty gash sometimes!

Cheers bro, to be honest mate it will be a one off in regards to time length, I just wanted to show a decent amount of footage of a reduction using SRT. :)

Cheers, I'd figured it must be something to do with forces on the redirects, but I'm not the smartest.

What bollard did you get with the bone? I ask because I'm almost due a new rope at work and I'd like something that can be used both ddrt and SRT, with a view to getting the BDB at some point.

I reduced an oak of a similar size a while ago and I don't mind admitting it took well over one day even with another climber in the tree. Fair enough there were quite a few targets but still, that's good going for a day mate!

Next you'll be saying you finished early!

4 1/2 hours total climbing mate, I was down done dusted climbing for 2pm :)

Cheers bro, to be honest mate it will be a one off in regards to time length, I just wanted to show a decent amount of footage of a reduction using SRT. :)

4 1/2 hours total climbing mate, I was down done dusted climbing for 2pm :)

Douchebag.

Great video Adam, how long did it take you to transition from ddrt to static rope? I went to the AA SRT workshop last month , the guy doing the demo shot up the tree rapid style, but he said once he got to his anchor he reverted back to doubled rope. I haven't been climbing that long and to be honest I was a bit put off by the seemingly complicated knots and slings in some the of the base anchor systems on demo. It was impressive how you flew round the canopy using redirects. How much time/effort do you think you saved compared to working the same tree/job on a ddrt system.

Thanks

Timon

Enjoyed that, bone looks slick, how are you getting on with those boots? Need a new pair and fancy something less clumpy than my pfanners

Thanks James, yes the bone is great, more than welcome to Pop over and have a play sometime :) phantoms are lovely and comfy, we will see on lifespan :)

Cracking video Adam, I'm in my learning stages still of reductions, and that was A class, admire your skills and keeping the shape of the tree, slightly jealous but hope I can make it to that standard in time, top job 👍🏽

Thank you very much mate, it's one of those jobs you either hate or love, hating it will only make things worst, it takes time and a lot of guidance! You'll get there I'm sure :)

Great video Adam, how long did it take you to transition from ddrt to static rope? I went to the AA SRT workshop last month , the guy doing the demo shot up the tree rapid style, but he said once he got to his anchor he reverted back to doubled rope. I haven't been climbing that long and to be honest I was a bit put off by the seemingly complicated knots and slings in some the of the base anchor systems on demo. It was impressive how you flew round the canopy using redirects. How much time/effort do you think you saved compared to working the same tree/job on a ddrt system.

Thanks

Timon

Cheers Timon,

SRT can be as complicated and complex or as simple as you like, it's all down to the user I guess, running bowline as a base anchor or running figure 8 knot is more than simple and safe. It took me a good couple of weeks to adapt to thinking redirect SRT and then added to my technique as I progressed, 3 1/2 years on and it's just natural now. Time and effort is only in the climbing and ascents, I would say at least 25% of both at a guess mate. :)