Dust mask

andrew t

We were reducing a London plane the other day and the dust was making me and the groundie gag. We went back the second day with dust masks, the groundie used his but I couldn't climb in mine, just felt all wrong and didn't like the feel of it! We got the decent ones from Screwfix not just the cheap and cheerful ones

On the basis that PPE is "the last line of defence", from a H&S point of view, and "avoidance" is the first, try to convince your clients to have their Plane trees pruned when dormant (that's the trees, not the clients :001_smile:)

Not practicable in many situations, acknowledged, but maybe in some.

OR work on them when it's raining to dampen the effects, this would be a risk assessment 'control measure'...although not when too wet of course.

Cheers,

Paul (sat in an office these days :blushing:)

try to convince your clients to have their Plane trees pruned when dormant

I know of a large contractor that did just that; told the LA 'we're not doing them in summer - end.'

I guess that once the LA has got over it everyone's happy, even H&S.

My GP just recommended that I use a mask when cutting and when working in dusty areas . I am going for an X-ray on Wednesday to see if there is anything wrong with my chest as I have had a cough first thing in the morning for a long time and need to rule out anything nasty . I was wondering about using the mask when I cut in the tree and when climbing in conifers . I don't think it's practical to have it on all day as I think it's going to be really hard to breath . Any thoughts as always appreciate

I started coughing around a year ago,been to gp 3 times,had 2 x rays and 1 blood test, when my gp did speak he said your lungs are clear but i know they aren't.

Started wearing masks when cutting and splitting and coughing a bit less now, i use the ones for car body filler dust.

I started coughing around a year ago,been to gp 3 times,had 2 x rays and 1 blood test, when my gp did speak he said your lungs are clear but i know they aren't.

Started wearing masks when cutting and splitting and coughing a bit less now, i use the ones for car body filler dust.

My X-ray was clear there planning to stick a camera down my neck to see what the problem is . I am nearly sick or sick every morning from coughing sometimes blood comes out with the phlem .

On the basis that PPE is "the last line of defence", from a H&S point of view, and "avoidance" is the first, try to convince your clients to have their Plane trees pruned when dormant (that's the trees, not the clients :001_smile:)

Not practicable in many situations, acknowledged, but maybe in some.

OR work on them when it's raining to dampen the effects, this would be a risk assessment 'control measure'...although not when too wet of course.

Cheers,

Paul (sat in an office these days :blushing:)

Hi Paul,

Hope your well. Yes within reason we do try to prune them in the winter months but you know what it is like sometimes there is no way around it. I was working on two large planes yesterday that had large dead sections high in the crown over a path in a busy town centre park. IMO in this case it makes sense to carry out the work as the risk that the dead poses was high rather than wait for a slot later in the year.

As it was for an LA I am sure if they wanted a reduction then they would be happy to wait until winter. I agree sometimes work can be planned better. I drove past a contractor the other day on the A20 and they were reducing a line of 30/40 trees, the guys looked like they were loving it!!

In terms of doing them in the rain, the bigger open ones are like a skating rink, I think I would rather cough for a bit!

I keep a couple in the van all the time. Very useful, especially when ringing up elm etc. don't buy cheap. Go for at least P2, better still, P3 ones. Better being safe than sorry

Thanks for that Dave,i hadn't realised there were different types,ive just ordered some P3 best masks from screwfix, to keep all that nasty dust out.

• 1 year later...

hi all

we have the same problem over here, all i do is us a band-danner- wet it at the start and do so after a few hours. you look like a cowboy but it works, as it get so hot here upto 46 in summer a full face mask would kill me after a days work.