Stolen tools in South Dorset

Dorset Treeman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We think they used fairly quiet hydraulic cutters on ours, what ever it was had some serious power to bend this up, we couldnt shift it when taking it off to replace. Got much thicker one now, better lock etc, they will just go through the side next time though... ImageUploadedByArbtalk1432453138.514137.jpg.2c8565357ccfc02e378f8a61d17656fe.jpg

Cutting metal takes time and makes noise two things thieves don't like.

Unit next door to us, they ripped off exterior metal cladding, smashed through a block wall and then smashed an internal door to access a sub-unit. Must have taken a reasonable amount of time.

A near-by tree firm had a container accessed by cutting through the exterior wall. Now that must have been noisy and time consuming. Obviously a lot depends on where the premises is located, but I'd assume that, due to the nature of our work and the space we need, many firms are a little remote or at least not close to residential and highly populated areas.

I'm not disagreeing about the use of safes, just in my opinion they're limited in their application and aren't 100% thief proof.

We watched a thief break in our van (on camera after the event) outside our unit at 4.10a.m. He spent 25 minutes realising that there wasn't anything available to either syphon fuel with or carry it off in, there were no tools to pinch - he even looked under the body to see if there was storage between the chassis rails. In the end, after 30 odd minutes, he lifted the bonnet and pinched the battery. Time didn't appear to be much of an issue, although he did appear pretty inept.

These scum don't care, the penalty for getting caught is inadequate and I think most will take the time and effort to get something. Security is about slowing them down long enough for you be alerted, phone the police and get down there to catch them.

Edited by Gary Prentice

Unit next door to us, they ripped off exterior metal cladding, smashed through a block wall and then smashed an internal door to access a sub-unit. Must have taken a reasonable amount of time.

A near-by tree firm had a container accessed by cutting through the exterior wall. Now that must have been noisy and time consuming. Obviously a lot depends on where the premises is located, but I'd assume that, due to the nature of our work and the space we need, many firms are a little remote or at least not close to residential and highly populated areas.

I'm not disagreeing about the use of safes, just in my opinion they're limited in their application and aren't 100% thief proof.

We watched a thief break in our van (on camera after the event) outside our unit at 4.10a.m. He spent 25 minutes realising that there wasn't anything available to either syphon fuel with or carry it off in, there were no tools to pinch - he even looked under the body to see if there was storage between the chassis rails. In the end, after 30 odd minutes, he lifted the bonnet and pinched the battery. Time didn't appear to be much of an issue, although he did appear pretty inept.

These scum don't care, the penalty for getting caught is inadequate and I think most will take the time and effort to get something. Security is about slowing them down long enough for you be alerted, phone the police and get down there to catch them.

So just leave your stuff out side and make it easy????

Of course containers aren't the sole answer and it does depend where your based,too remote and it allows time for scum too work, containers,tool safes,alarms,cctv,security lights,vans chained up in front of doors,razor wire, hitch locks, stearing locks etc etc I have everything listed!

Nothing is thief proof,it's all down to "layers of security.

So just leave your stuff out side and make it easy????

Of course containers aren't the sole answer and it does depend where your based,too remote and it allows time for scum too work, containers,tool safes,alarms,cctv,security lights,vans chained up in front of doors,razor wire, hitch locks, stearing locks etc etc I have everything listed!

Nothing is thief proof,it's all down to "layers of security.

I didn't say don't use them, but don't think that they're sufficient on their own and anyone relying on them and not much more is likely to end up deprived. They'd only probably stall a thief for a couple of minutes.

First layer of defence should be a silent alarm followed by lots of things to slow um down. Advertise the fact as we'll if they think there's a chance of been caught they all move on to the next place on the list. Doesn't hurt to let the local scum no that it's going to cause a whole load of trouble.

They did a lot of cutting in my place and I know a guy down the road had three alarms as well as cctv they did all but one alarm before it went off and they ran,But give them time and they will happily cut away..should of got that alarm!

[ATTACH]182709[/ATTACH][ATTACH]182710[/ATTACH][ATTACH]182711[/ATTACH]

Did they gas axe their way into that site box?

We think they used fairly quiet hydraulic cutters on ours, what ever it was had some serious power to bend this up, we couldnt shift it when taking it off to replace. Got much thicker one now, better lock etc, they will just go through the side next time though... [ATTACH]182713[/ATTACH]

Hi WRA we had the same here mate I will PM WHAT IM TOLD THEY BY A Engineer thanks John