When The Wife

Stefan Palokangas

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the equivalent of £250 here.

On average £150 is what a decent subbie climber tends to charge round here. There are some who will work for as low as £100, who I can only assume are supported elsewhere.

Your rate sounds like what freelance climbers should be aiming for over here. I think the problem is that the climbing industry is saturated, and more and more newly qualified "climbers" get churned out, which drives the price down.

I remember the firm my cousin used to work for in the south east paid his top climber/s 120 a day... that was on the books, and that was back in 2007/8 .

If i could get 120 on the books, to me there is no point being a self employed contractor for an extra 30 quid a day?? end up making less money at the end of the year!

So i agree with you, UK contractors def need to be charging more!

Edited by chrism3513

That is a ridiculous figure.. £250 a day 220 work days a year would be £55K a year.

A decent climber has training that can be obtained over several weeks, a few years experience and a couple of grand of equipment..

Id say a decent climber has training that has been obtained over a few years, and then a few further years experience.

55k a year self employed with all the costs and negatives that go with that... nothing ridiculous about that to me. my little sister just got a job driving horse trucks around (based in england but a fair bit of driving in europe) and shes on 35k a year, just for comparison id say being self employed and doing a more skilled / dangerous/ physically wrecking job than that deserves to be earning a little more coin..

Think of a number double it and add £10 like your wife did. Then let them knock you down the £10 so they feel like they've got a better deal ;)

The prices must be realistic, to keep a grinder going is quite expensive, even the fuel cost in a days work is quite high.

I was thinking 290 a while back as a daily rate, now i see how out of order that really is.

I do think a realistic number for a full days work with a 38hp machine will be nearer the 650.