towing a caravan to france ??

superfurryanimal

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasnt that because there was a problem with supply? but the law still stands (bit isn't enforced)

Hi,

To clear things up, you are still required to carry a breathalyser in your car if you drive in France, however there is no longer an 11 Euro fine for not carrying one.

The breathalysers are readily available for about 1.50 euros from Hyper U or Leclerc pharmacy.

We have never been asked if we carry them although only been stopped once in several years living here & not read anything about it in papers.

Im fairly sure this is how it stands, however I will ask our neighbours son in law next time I see him if this is correct as he is a Gendarme.

However they do like hiding out of sight with radar guns & a couple of officers further down the road to collect a 90 euro fine if going too fast. Speed limits are: 50 Km/hr inside a town/village boundary sign, 70 or 90 Km/hr main roads, 110 or 130 Km/hr dual carriageway / peage.

N

Edited by NFG

Hi,

To clear things up, you are still required to carry a breathalyser in your car if you drive in France, however there is no longer an 11 Euro fine for not carrying one.

The breathalysers are readily available for about 1.50 euros from Hyper U or Leclerc pharmacy.

We have never been asked if we carry them although only been stopped once in several years living here & not read anything about it in papers.

Im fairly sure this is how it stands, however I will ask our neighbours son in law next time I see him if this is correct as he is a Gendarme.

However they do like hiding out of sight with radar guns & a couple of officers further down the road to collect a 90 euro fine if going too fast. Speed limits are: 50 Km/hr inside a town/village boundary sign, 70 or 90 Km/hr main roads, 110 or 130 Km/hr dual carriageway / peage.

N

Hi NFG they do like you using speed detectors in your cars I got done over there but never ever got the fine oh well thanks John

been looking at Dover to Calais then driving to the Caen area, somewhere not to far for my first trip,

Hi,

Cant say that would be top of my list, but you might like to visit the Epernay, Ardennes or Voges regions.

30 years ago, we used to drive all over France in our Peugeot 205, Dordoigne, Lott, Ardech although we very much like the west coast, Brittany down.

Bon courage

N

What time of the year are you thinking of travelling? If in July and August, you may need to book camp sites in advance.

There are loads of guide books. Invest in a few to decide on the area etc.

Being biased I would head for the west coast for sea. Or, Massif Central for non-sea.

Remember that the tolls on the autoroutes can soon add up if travelling long distances. Though, in the Brittany region for example, the autoroutes are free.

Look at using oddball ferry times to get cheap crossings. You have a caravan, so can pull in for a snooze etc. I hate Dover-Calais crossings - just the passengers and staff are yobs. Eurotunnel can be cheap if travelling in non peak times.

Bonne route!

What time of the year are you thinking of travelling? If in July and August, you may need to book camp sites in advance.

There are loads of guide books. Invest in a few to decide on the area etc.

Being biased I would head for the west coast for sea. Or, Massif Central for non-sea.

Remember that the tolls on the autoroutes can soon add up if travelling long distances. Though, in the Brittany region for example, the autoroutes are free.

Look at using oddball ferry times to get cheap crossings. You have a caravan, so can pull in for a snooze etc. I hate Dover-Calais crossings - just the passengers and staff are yobs. Eurotunnel can be cheap if travelling in non peak times.

Bonne route!

just found the new haven to Dieppe crossing, i'm travelling from south wales so would that be a better option ? i'm hoping to go beginning of September