Price and method to remove this large Oak

Billy

Sounds like you've got it figured. 1 day for the brash and cord, another for the stem. Don't be caught out by the amount of time and mess that comes with ringing up a stem that size.

To be honest, I reckon a semi decent climber could get that on the deck by 2pm, if that was the only objective, but I wouldn't want to be the one clearing up after him.

The most efficient pace is one where the lads on deck can keep up with you. No sense slowing them down by crashing limb on top of limp with a few logs on top of that for good measure. (That's when you shout down "I'll just roll myself a smoke while you guys sort that out!")

Here's how I'd approach it.

Big rigging, lower each branch and let the guys on the ground process it one branch at a time, whilst lowering touch the tip on the ground so you can pull the butt end towards the chipper. Don't swamp them.

Then the trunk, negative rig as much as possible then set up your cushion, fell it.

Roll on the horsepower, relax and get the blower out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I'd approach it.

Big rigging, lower each branch and let the guys on the ground process it one branch at a time, whilst lowering touch the tip on the ground so you can pull the butt end towards the chipper. Don't swamp them.

Then the trunk, negative rig as much as possible then set up your cushion, fell it.

Roll on the horsepower, relax and get the blower out.

More or less my plan, however the last 5-6 meter of stem can be lifted straight into the lorry in 2-3 sections. It's 3ft+ at 6ft and doesn't taper much. any negative rigging will be pushing my kit pretty hard, I'm thinking I'll push blocks straight into the lorry for simplicity until within reach of the crane. If the transit and tw brigade don't want to do it for less and be there for a week slicing each ring into 8ths.

More or less my plan, however the last 5-6 meter of stem can be lifted straight into the lorry in 2-3 sections. It's 3ft+ at 6ft and doesn't taper much. any negative rigging will be pushing my kit pretty hard, I'm thinking I'll push blocks straight into the lorry for simplicity until within reach of the crane. If the transit and tw brigade don't want to do it for less and be there for a week slicing each ring into 8ths.

I like the sound of that! Don't forget the pics.

Looks like you're working smart, not hard, Mick. A lot of business owners would do well to take a leaf.

That job could have been done by rigging small bits and chogging the stem, but it'd take more time, create more mess, and involve a lot more strain and risk on the lads (something which is overlooked all to often).

I'd go 950, rig all the brash, get a load of bales/tyres on the monoblock, flop the butt over get JON to come and PICK UP OFF SITE MATE, jobs a good un

Make sure he brings his smart car along otherwise you might not get all the wood in.