Burning slab wood

Lloyd--

Looking for people's views on burning saw mill off cuts, saw mill is less than a mile from my house but the want £30 a ton

I know it burns quickly but is it worth it by the time I buy it and cut to "logs"

Cheers

£30 a tonne you'll get chip wood delivered in at that kind of money.

I used to buy slabs at £8 a tonne.

They are a lot of work and faf

I find them very quick to process as firewood, but the value depends on how thick the slabs are.

Broadly speaking, they burn a bit quicker, but take half the time to process (that's for me, processing with a screw splitter - 1 cube every 20-25 minutes cut and split on slabwood, about 45 minutes on cordwood per cube). Also give off more heat. I've got quite a bit too and was looking for £25/t if anyone in Edinburgh wants it.

£30 a tonne you'll get chip wood delivered in at that kind of money.

I used to buy slabs at £8 a tonne.

They are a lot of work and faf

Agreed on all counts. Slab has now gone up a little in line with demand for chip feeding biomass boilers but nowhere near £30 delivered. I used to only burn slabwood but it was free. A lot more work than round wood though. Might be worth enquiring how much for a lorry load if you can store it.

Used it for several years before local sawmill started feeding it straight into the chipper - excellent firewood and easy to stack and store.

We used to cut it down to 500mm in the bundles so it was easy and quick to process.

I personally would take the slabwood over the roundwood at the same price.

Cheers

mac

Depends what species it is! Also probably not a tonne, more like a "bundle", so go and have a look, and it will vary from day to day.

There is a very good sawmill only a couple hundred yard from me but seems all their slabwood is reserved for others!

I did once get a few loads, think it was £25 per bundle which when cut was about a loose 3 cubic metre (loaded in my trailer), most didn't need split and you got some kindling out of it too! That was larch, which makes fantastic firewood.

Looking for people's views on burning saw mill off cuts, saw mill is less than a mile from my house but the want £30 a ton

I know it burns quickly but is it worth it by the time I buy it and cut to "logs"

Cheers

Hi MATE YEARS ago DAD USED it on his open fire thanks Jon

Ok a range of views

It is £30 a ton not bundle over their weigh bridge

If 30 is steep what sort of price would you pay? (Out of interest)

Cheers

Probably supply and demand at your local mill. If there are lots of people after it and they can sell at it all at 30 then that's what they will do. I guess that most of us on here buy larger quantities so get a better deal. Why not phone around other sawmills. If you find one that has a big stack in a small yard then you might get it for £15.