grcs or hobbs

Johny Walker

I love my GRCS. With the 2 speed winch ability it has without doubt enabled me to remove trees that those other competitors quoting, who do not own such a device, would have been pricing in a crane.
The added option of the rigid larger aluminium bollard for non winch jobs really does allow for sensitive lowering .
Biggest criticisms :-
1) taking the wrap out of the pig tale and out of the cinch plate is not an infallible procedure !!!!!
2) can be rigging rope fussy and wraps can occasionally slip whilst lifting heavy shiz.
3) Rather worryingly some years ago I pulled the capstan out to assemble it into the back plate and thought it sounded a bit ‘rattly’ , upon investigation I discovered that the internal bolts that held the capstan to its attached back plate had all come loose inside and required locktighting and re torquing .
Could have been pretty catastrophic!!

How does the Hobbs winch? I thought from my grey memory matter you have to put a crude pole into the drum ??
And it doesn’t seem to have the 2 speed ratios that the GRCS has.
Where do you live ? If you’re near Warwickshire you could borrow mine and try it?

Cheers for all the replies lads,
In answer to your questions here we go.

-Steve, I’ve not ruled out the other devices just seem to be drawn to the grcs and the Hobbs I suppose. Probably down to longevity of them being around a while and more well known. Nothing against the other makes. And to be fair I would probably be looking at the stein rcw3001 with the winch as I’ve used one a fair bit (from a climbers point of veiw) and occasionally grounding and found it a great bit of kit. But I found myself constantly thinking there must be a quicker system that doesn’t require the constant locking off and re-setting of the hitch and extending the winch cord only to re-tie and start again. Nothing wrong with it and I’ve picked some big stuff with it but I can feel my groundies pain when he’s doing a big winch and re-setting. Hence the reason to try something a bit more fluid. Cheers Steve.

- Matty, we would be doing more rigging than lifting I would expect, but that depends on each job and since using the stein winch bollard I’ve been amazed at how much we use it as I always thought it was a bit of a novelty. But once used it was amazing the amount of possibilities that it opened up on most rigging jobs. Cheers Matty

-Rupe, I always normally have the same groundies so they would all be well versed in the use of whatever I decide to get. Cheers rupe.

-treerover, great info thanks sounds good to me, I’m warwickshire born and bred I’ll message you my number and hopefully organise a play with it.

Thanks again lads, top banana [emoji106]

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MattyF said:

What are you going to be doing with it ?? The hobbs is simple and great for pretensioning lines rigging big and you can dump big loads no worries on it it will lift but nothing like the grcs winch although it will lift it takes time if you try.
I can live with my Hobbs type block though.

Having used said block, I don't see any reason you'd need anything else.

18 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Having used said block, I don't see any reason you'd need anything else.

Haven't used a hobbs, but have used a block with a similar winching design.  It does do anything you need.

Someone earlier said their GRCS allows them to do jobs that another company would need a crane for.  Its not the first time I have heard this, and from people I hold a lot of respect for...I do struggle to understand this though.  Cranes come into their own when theres zero drop zone and the pieces need lifting well clear of all obstacles, a GRCS cannot do that, so i'd love a detailed scenario form someone please?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Haven't used a hobbs, but have used a block with a similar winching design.  It does do anything you need.

Someone earlier said their GRCS allows them to do jobs that another company would need a crane for.  Its not the first time I have heard this, and from people I hold a lot of respect for...I do struggle to understand this though.  Cranes come into their own when theres zero drop zone and the pieces need lifting well clear of all obstacles, a GRCS cannot do that, so i'd love a detailed scenario form someone please?

I meant Matty's block, never used a Hobbs or GRCS.

Edited by Mark J