Safety Rope for MEWP

Billhook

I am not attached to the rope. It is just there as an additional safeguard in case something unexpected happens.

On a positive note, if you bother to watch the video of the guy in the gym rope climbing, he demonstrates two methods of standing on the rope and taking both his hands off!

He makes a fast descent at the beginning and he has no gloves on.

I admit that I only knew the first technique of winding around your leg. At school only a few of us were strong enough to climb but we all did a descent.

I suppose it has all been banned now for H &S reasons.

I never hope to do this, it is never going to be a regular event, it is just there for belt and braces.

Going back to the video, (I know that this thread has been going on for too long and I am sorry for those who have gone to sleep!) I am sure that what he demonstrates is a useful bit of knowledge to practise perhaps once or twice.

You may one day need to know how to safely descend from a rope for unexpected reasons and he shows you how to do it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

If the alternative was certain death, I would opt for the steady handover hand descent with the loop over your foot but these Marines seem to do all right just pinching the rope between their feet, with a full back pack and weaponry.

A dozen possible reasons for needing the fast rope technique.

1. A gang of yobs tie up your groundie and start to have some fun with the controls.

2. A gang of yobs start hooning their cars around where you are set up, lose control and crash into a leg

3. There is a mechanical failure which causes the machine to topple but leaves enough time to grab the rope

4. There is a failure of the ground under one of the legs, perhaps an old manhole with a rusty lid then covered with tarmac but not apparent when setting up.

5. An electric cable which was well clear of where you are working is brought down and over by a vehicle running into it and the cable falls across the MEWP making it live.

6. A drunk driver ignores all the barriers and crashes into a leg

7. A stolen car chased by the police rams a leg.

8. A light aircraft with engine failure chooses to land in your vicinity and crashes into a leg.

9. A deadly poisonous snake had found its way into the box section overnight and suddenly appears in your basket.

10. The acetylene gas bottle you were using to do some cutting suddenly has a blow back and safety valve failure and starts to heat up.

11. The can of paint thinner tips over and there is a spark and the whole cage starts to burn.

12. Monica Bellucci walks under the MEWP and says that she will give you a freebie if you slide down the rope.

I was going to walk to the shop for some milk, but now I start thinking of what could go wrong.....

A yob might steal a mewp and fall out of it landing on your pint of milk spilling it.:lol::lol::lol:

1. A gang of yobs tie up your groundie and start to have some fun with the controls.

2. A gang of yobs start hooning their cars around where you are set up, lose control and crash into a leg

3. There is a mechanical failure which causes the machine to topple but leaves enough time to grab the rope

4. There is a failure of the ground under one of the legs, perhaps an old manhole with a rusty lid then covered with tarmac but not apparent when setting up.

5. An electric cable which was well clear of where you are working is brought down and over by a vehicle running into it and the cable falls across the MEWP making it live.

8. A light aircraft with engine failure chooses to land in your vicinity and crashes into a leg.

9. A deadly poisonous snake had found its way into the box section overnight and suddenly appears in your basket.

10. The acetylene gas bottle you were using to do some cutting suddenly has a blow back and safety valve failure and starts to heat up.

11. The can of paint thinner tips over and there is a spark and the whole cage starts to burn.

12. Monica Bellucci walks under the MEWP and says that she will give you a freebie if you slide down the rope.

Paranoia apart from the last one which is just wishful thinking!

i have done my MEWP training and try to stay safe but if it was a choice between being safe and the lovely Monica,safety would not be my immediate priority.