Extensive risk assesment

Andymacp

Totally agree with the last two posts.

Common sense probably makes all the difference as to how we view the safety people we deal with.

Most I have dealt with are reasonable with good common sense however, the ones that are lacking in that department probably make things worse as everyone reacts against them.

Nothing more unsafe than someone thinking about the stupid thing the HS officer has made him do, rather than having his mind on the job.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common sense probably makes all the difference as to how we view the safety people we deal with.

Most I have dealt with are reasonable with good common sense however, the ones that are lacking in that department probably make things worse as everyone reacts against them.

Nothing more unsafe than someone thinking about the stupid thing the HS officer has made him do, rather than having his mind on the job.

:congrats:

I dont understand what the problem is here, if you want to do arb work within the construction industry you have to play by their rules. Its no different to Rail, MOD or any of the larger employers. For the sake of about 2K a year we employ a H&S consultant that has given us a package on the computer that generates these telephone book thick RAMS in a few minutes. They also keep us on our toes with maintenance records, expiry dates on certs, accident books and record keeping. Its a small tax deductible price to pay ( which is off loaded onto the customer anyway) to be hassle free when going on site. I gave this a bit of thought and I think where we differ on site to any other trade is that what we do is inherently dangerous , what they fail to understand is that we are well rehearsed working in this environment, that said look what happened to Sean.

Bob

I am also constantly surprised how quickly people working in the h&s industry throw the rule book out the window when trying to get diy jobs done at home with out the right tools :biggrin:

At home?

I see it on site when deadlines are looming and penalties are going to be levied.

IMO, people are either sensible and safety conscious or not, I don't think bits of paper can really change that. Its simply not possible to instruct people in every aspect of what we do, you need to be able to think things through and act safely.

I have seen pictures on here of large companies with all the paper work in the world, but still do what I feel a crazy things. One example is craning timber off stems using a grab or clamshell to grip the log. Why not use a sling???????

Aspenarb the question is do you know what is in your telephone book thick rams. The rams should be a document that can be utilised by the staff to reduce risk and describe how to undertake the works. A book that thick you ain't gonna use or at least not know the key points. Ut therefore defeats the object of a rams and is just a vanity product to satisfy an over zealous health and safety officer who is more worried about the company being sued rather than the protection of a workforce.

Aspenarb the question is do you know what is in your telephone book thick rams. The rams should be a document that can be utilised by the staff to reduce risk and describe how to undertake the works. A book that thick you ain't gonna use or at least not know the key points. Ut therefore defeats the object of a rams and is just a vanity product to satisfy an over zealous health and safety officer who is more worried about the company being sued rather than the protection of a workforce.

Spot on!!!!!:thumbup1:

Of course your right, what we are talking about here is satisfying the needs of a site agent/manager/H&S guy on site. The workforce are always inducted on sites which can be anything from 20 minutes to half a day, they carry with them a schedule of works with a brief method statement and they are given a site briefing by our guys. That wont stop them leaving it in the truck and doing it the way they see fit on the day but all the boxes are ticked. It is what it is.

Bob

The most dangerous thing we do each day is drive to site, yet the is no RA or MS required.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg382.pdf

I think the problem with H&S is that it's applied with no common sense. I work as a civil engineer in construction.

Common sense is not common practice nor does it appear in any legislation.