• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Green Party
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP (Scottish National Party)
    • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
    • Not voting.

Thats always the way, the private sector always feels the recession first, and the recovery. The public sector lags behind.

Agreed, it can only be this way around, however what has typically happened previously is that the public sector has had neither the peaks nor the troughs of the private sector - typical settlements were 2.5% from 2002-2008, compared with nearer 5% in the private sector. Historically, this would have been countered by continuing modest rises during the recession, outstripping the private sector and it would have closed the gap and all come right in the end.

In practice, the 2009 rise (2.3%) at the same time as the private sector was contracting was seized on in 2010 with a lot of aggressive manipulation, designed to turn private sector workers against public sector workers. With the Conservatives, it goes well beyond the necessary into the ideological, as evidenced by the raising of pension contributions without reviewing the value of the pension pot first.

Alec

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Rich are getting even more wealthy during recession while the rest suffer - for example zero hours contracts, thinking it's good having east Europeans to come here and work for peanuts cos when they 1st arrive they do not have an inkling how much the cost of living is here - drives down wages generally who benefits - the ones now paying less wages! where do these savings go? the rich who own everything one way or another therefore they are getting more money than ever before therefore they pay more in tax (even if you reduced their rate by 5% - if left rate alone then the Exchequer would receive even more from the rich) but these are either (themselves - Tories) or their buddies so they want to reduce their tax rate whilst turning round to the rest of us dumb shmucks and saying "they're paying more tax" - simples really.

The rich didn't get richer during the recession, they lost millions, well most of them did.

We have an odd concept of "the rich" , So for example the MD of a car parts supplier to the manufacturers will have been hit hard when car sales fell, he's still rich of course compared to you and me.. Whereas a russian oligarch who made all his money elsewhere perhaps wasn't affected all that much.

In your view, who are the rich? Joanna Killian, who earns £289k? What is the earning threshold above which you are one of the bad guys?

All this stuff about migrants driving down wages is nonsense really, they mostly do jobs that employers struggle to fill, as well as a whole lot of other jobs that young british people don't want to do. We have a generation of kids who want a well paid, clean, non physically taxing 9-5 job, yet they have no skills or work experience. So call centres are the only thing open to them. This is why so many jobs in catering and hospitality are done by eastern europeans, our kids just don't want to get up at 5 to work in a hotel kitchen, let alone pick carrots or leeks all day.

Tom I'm not talking about MD's (used to be one myself) I'm talking about the 1% the String Pullers the ones Tories grovel to they are worth so much you can't get your head around it and they are not affected by recession s ever - a recession for these guys is just another opportunity to make more money usually at a lot of other peoples expense.

I'm a top-down voter rather than bottom-up; I see the EU as a far bigger and more serious issue than the NHS because IMO it affects all the small UK issues people are apparently upset about - the NHS, economy, immigration and then the other local issues. Merely basing a vote on your personal matters and concerns does little to influence the ultimate trickle down effect.

I'm a top-down voter rather than bottom-up; I see the EU as a far bigger and more serious issue than the NHS because IMO it affects all the small UK issues people are apparently upset about - the NHS, economy, immigration and then the other local issues. Merely basing a vote on your personal matters and concerns does little to influence the ultimate trickle down effect.

Great wealth don't trickle down. Wake up a smell the fecking coffee.

You live in a time that as passed. Do some research on it!