"Pre-97 Driving License required" - when will this stop?

paradise

cheaper than your felling tickets:blushing:

and less time

p.s if i was paying for it i would go the whole hog and do my rigid and artic

then i would be more employable and always have HGV as a backup if work stopped or when i got old

pps i do have a pre 97 and HGV

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel that clearly it is an important element to the industry and know verry well just how dificult it is logisticaly to get all the kit you ned to sit sometimes when you dont have enough staff with a pre 97 licence or with C1+e . on the other habd i have worked with guys that have a pre 97 licence and are not able to tow or reverse a trailer !!

my only advice is that rather than taking your trailer test why not take your HGV2 ??? that way you can drive any size lorry right up to 16 wheelers and your able to tow a trailer behind a 3.5 ton truck thus having the best of both worlds and making your self much more employable !!! and in todays current climate thats a big pluss

I agree HGV is a better option and if i had the spare cash id do it tomorrow, however, the trailer test is £350 and the HGV is well over a grand!!

Some people will only have the cash to do the trailer test

i feel that clearly it is an important element to the industry and know verry well just how dificult it is logisticaly to get all the kit you ned to sit sometimes when you dont have enough staff with a pre 97 licence or with C1+e . on the other habd i have worked with guys that have a pre 97 licence and are not able to tow or reverse a trailer !!

my only advice is that rather than taking your trailer test why not take your HGV2 ??? that way you can drive any size lorry right up to 16 wheelers and your able to tow a trailer behind a 3.5 ton truck thus having the best of both worlds and making your self much more employable !!! and in todays current climate thats a big pluss

i think your wrong on the towing bit matey

I agree HGV is a better option and if i had the spare cash id do it tomorrow, however, the trailer test is £350 and the HGV is well over a grand!!

Some people will only have the cash to do the trailer test

but how quickly could you get that grand back ?? how many companies looking at your CV and seeing that you have your class 2 hgv will see the benefits to taking you on over someone with a trailer ticket ??? also it could be a good bargaining point for extra pay ??

but how quickly could you get that grand back ?? how many companies looking at your CV and seeing that you have your class 2 hgv will see the benefits to taking you on over someone with a trailer ticket ??? also it could be a good bargaining point for extra pay ??

Yup, i agree totally mate. Having the spare cash in the first place is my problem haha

i've looked into doing my B+E and it worked out it would cost me roundabout £800 with a training company near me which is used by various haulage firms etc that was for 3 days at £210 a day +vat and the test itself costs £105 no vat. I'm 32 but only passed my test three year ago due to medical reasons which also stop me applying for my LGV licence so i'm well and truly stuffed at the mo unless i bring in someone who can tow more than 750kg.

You are wrong, if you've got HGV 2 now called category c you can only tow a trailer of 750kg behind you. All cat c does is mean you can drive any rigid vehicle, well any cat c vehicle before someone mentions tanks.

I did my B+E test cost me £85 quid to do the test and £20 quid for a couple of hours beforehand with a normal driving instructor to look at my general driving.

Used my own trailer and car and looked up all the manouvres beforehand. Think it was obvious to the examiner though, as I did things like putting my seatbelt on which apparently was not necessary for the manouvres.

Before I'd done the trailer test I'd already done the HGV test which I don't think helped really. Think that cost me about £500quid to do.

Rob