Check list for being legal

Mike H

think this is what Tomatin did when they pulled him for no Tacho as he has small woodland on the farm.

Hi

Just phoned VOSA who said they reckon logs are 'forestry' but I should call my local Enforcement Officer to check. The Officer said that as long as they are my own trees, I can process them and deliver to a customer with my Trailer and I do not need a Tacho. However, if I buy in the trees, the 'Forestry' element has then ceased and the processing becomes an industrial activity which is not exempt... so I would need a Tacho. He said that if they see someone taking down windblown trees then they would view that as part of the 'forestry' process and if those trees were cut/processed into logs it would be ok. He did say that it gets a bit grey, but generally if it is a small scale operation and the logs are either directly part of a 'forestry' process (clearing fallen trees) or the trees were cut down by yourself and you did not buy the wood in.... then you are ok. I said that if ever he pulled me over, it would be when I happen to be carrying logs from my small wood, rather than any bought in stuff.... he laughed and said if that was the case, then I would be fine.

Summary:

I think if you can demonstrate that the trees used for logs are from your own trees or are part of a 'forestry activity' that you have been involved with, then you are OK. If you have clearly bought in the trees and then just processed them into logs, you are not part of the 'Forestry' exemption. If you are under the 'Forestry' exemption and you drive more than 100km from your base, you are subject to UK Law and need to keep a proper record of hours (which I think can be just hand written and signed off by boss).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your case you may argue that taking and delivering logs from your woodland is forestry, and thus exempt from tacho but that wood that you buy in is not exempted.

Hi

Just phoned VOSA who said they reckon logs are 'forestry' but I should call my local Enforcement Officer to check. The Officer said that as long as they are my own trees, I can process them and deliver to a customer with my Trailer and I do not need a Tacho. However, if I buy in the trees, the 'Forestry' element has then ceased and the processing becomes an industrial activity which is not exempt...

Much the same as my thoughts then.

In fact I'd bet that logs could be a legitimate farm diversification and if so even bought in wood would be covered under the agricultural exemption. but the farm would need to be a registered holding.

sounds like a 3.5t transit tipper is the way to go.

it weighs 2.4t unloaded, 1 ton of logs = no tacho.

I hope any way :)

If you are delivering bags then why have a tipper. A dropside can come in at around 2 tonne giving a 1500kg payload less driver's weight. How many builders bags of 20% mc is that? About 8 I reckon and would struggle to fit them on.

If you are delivering bags then why have a tipper. A dropside can come in at around 2 tonne giving a 1500kg payload less driver's weight. How many builders bags of 20% mc is that? About 8 I reckon and would struggle to fit them on.

Yes why would you have a tipper for bags you would need a crane that takes you down to a ton so 3 builders bags or 2 cube bags and leave your lunch box at the yard.

Anybody doing any volume of firewood needs to be able to get 4 cube bags on

Ive been hiding from the fact that I need a tacho for ages but I'm at the point now where I'm on the road that much vosa are going to nab or worse have an accident and the insurance be void.

I'm going down the 5/7.5 tonne route it narks me but what other choice do I have.

I would like to clarify some things then.

Run a 3.5 ton Vauxhall movano and a small chipper under 750 kg. as I underts it I am ok with the licenses but tachographs?

We drive to work, notarise for a job.

We are always local, maximum we go Is 20 miles.

So driving normally is 20 minutes tops 95% of the time.

We do tree work so we have non processed logs and clippings we remove from site but these I give away. I don't get any reward or payment for these ( please none of the " I sell all of mine all the time comments". If I could I would!).

If I get heavy machinery in I hire this and have it delivered.

Do I need a tacho?

Many thanks

... b) Licence allows me to drive Category C1+E which is medium sized vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the trailer - when fully loaded - can’t weigh more than the vehicle.

Are you sure about that bit in bold? I can't see anything saying the trailer mustn't weigh more than the towing vehicle (or not for B+E, C+E etc). It would make a nonsense of our vehicle for example, MAM of vehicle is just over 2500kg, max trailer weight is 3500kg.